Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shetland ewe lambs (shearlings soon)  (Read 1839 times)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Shetland ewe lambs (shearlings soon)
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:58:11 pm »
Always wanted pretty shetlands and managed to buy 6 gorgeous lambs last September lovely colours and unusual markings. They’re very tame (as in bucket followers/ come to the call)  and just gorgeous BUT they have discovered that they can jump our dry stone walls and so they’re getting into all sorts of mischief so I’m going to have to let them go. They’re 10/11 months old and wormed etc up to date, due to be heptovaced this March. I just want what I paid for them so if interested please message me for photos. Not for meat please. If I wanted them as meat I’d do it myself and already have someone interested in them for that purpose. £50 each

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Shetland ewe lambs (shearlings soon)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 04:58:38 pm »
If you want them to go to a breeding home they would sell easier if they were pedigree - are they?

Also I wouldn't buy a batch of sheep that are advertised as being keen to jump... here any sheep that jumps fences goes into the freezer - not fair to pass on to someone else...

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 08:58:05 pm »
If you want them to go to a breeding home they would sell easier if they were pedigree - are they?

Also I wouldn't buy a batch of sheep that are advertised as being keen to jump... here any sheep that jumps fences goes into the freezer - not fair to pass on to someone else...

No they’re not registered but not everyone keeps sheep to breed or show. Also they don’t jump fences only dry stone walls. They jump up on the wall and then jump down again. They can’t do that on fencing. Unfortunately 75% of our land is dry stone wall not fence.  Also I’m not trying to hide the fact so I think your criticism is a little unjust.  I’m not trying to pass a problem on. The dry stone wall issue doesn’t apply to everyone.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 09:37:56 pm »

No they’re not registered but not everyone keeps sheep to breed or show. Also they don’t jump fences only dry stone walls. They jump up on the wall and then jump down again. They can’t do that on fencing. Unfortunately 75% of our land is dry stone wall not fence.  Also I’m not trying to hide the fact so I think your criticism is a little unjust.  I’m not trying to pass a problem on. The dry stone wall issue doesn’t apply to everyone.

You have been perfectly honest. If jumping sheep went in the freezer there wouldn't be many Herdwicks left!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 01:25:47 pm »

You have been perfectly honest. If jumping sheep went in the freezer there wouldn't be many Herdwicks left!
[/quote]

Didn't actually think that herdwicks were showjumpers!!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 01:41:29 pm »
I had the same issue with some of my Manxes and stone walls, and agree that good stock fencing worked fine.  They just used the walls like vertical roads  ::)  :love: :sheep: :hugsheep:

And yes, much better to be open and honest, then people can make their own choice  :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 03:54:31 pm »
Believe me, if a Shetland ewe knows she can get out over a wall - she will be able to jump a normal stock fence from standing! I have got one... though she has calmed down a bit now she is over 5 years old...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2020, 10:08:18 pm »
Believe me, if a Shetland ewe knows she can get out over a wall - she will be able to jump a normal stock fence from standing! I have got one... though she has calmed down a bit now she is over 5 years old...

This was, as I said above, explicitly not my experience with some Manxes and their crossbred offspring. 

I will say it again.  They ran up and over stone walls and were contained perfectly by good stock fencing.

Although yes, there can of course be the very occasional one individual who will try to jump out of anything, like your ewe, Anke - and those really should go in the pot in my view!  :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:10:28 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 06:54:27 am »

Although yes, there can of course be the very occasional one individual who will try to jump out of anything, like your ewe, Anke - and those really should go in the pot in my view!  :D
She would have been long ago, if I could catch her....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 09:54:59 am »

She would have been long ago, if I could catch her....

:roflanim:

We had a Swaley cross Blackie like that : sometimes she was ours, sometimes she was our neighbour's  :D  (He couldn't catch her either  :roflanim:)

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:34:01 am »
Well my little darlings are currently in the only field that has no walls just fencing and so far so good so fingers crossed. They can’t stay there forever tho as it’s the horses summer grazing field so they’ll have to go. But I’ve taken them off the market for now as the only offers I’ve had are from people I’ve guessed are buying for slaughter for Eid and I’m too fond of them to send them off for that. I’ll put them back on the market late April. Sentiment shouldn’t come in it I know but they are so sweet!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2020, 04:01:12 pm »
I know you have stated you have stone walls but to keep these sheep (if you really really want to) are you able to fence other areas? I once had manx x shetlands and several were escape artists! When it came to lambing, the only way to keep the little buggers in was a minimum of 6 strands of electric on double whammy! Even then there was always the same ones looking and wondering if she could get under or over. One in particular thought that she would manage it. Getting feet tangled apparently hurt so she learnt her lesson! Over time though (you will too as you get into more, or you'll end up frazzled!!) you'll come to the conclusion that some aren't worth it! You'll flog it (private or auction) or eat it! I had one particular shetland ewe, she was beautiful and very trying!! Got shot of her after a year or so. When I want the sheep to come to me, they come, not follow that cretin the opposite direction. And I have also come to the conclusion that anyone who thrashes at shearing, departs! Annoys me, never mind the shearer!!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS