Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wet, muddy fields and gateways please help  (Read 26279 times)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: wet, muddy fields and gateways please help
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 10:09:34 pm »
You cant really solve it when its poached already, its something for next year.

You sound like you've taken precautions to stop your horses gathering for food or comfort in the muddy areas.  Thats probably all you can do while its still muddy.

I did a quick search on google and found this document which has some great advise on it - well I enjoyed the read and got some interesting ideas out of it:-

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/Gateways+advice?opendocument

Ta

Baz

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:30 am »
good article!

we have a very wet field entrance, the water drains off the hill and across the road into it.
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Hardfeather

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 08:12:51 am »
It is amazing how field gates and heavily poached areas recover, so don't panic. I've seen my wee paddock near the house in some pretty bad states if I've had to keep the horses in there for some reason or other when it's wet. It really does recover well after the frost, sun, wind, and even more rain have worked on it for a while.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 01:11:51 pm »
thanks for all the input,

bazzias          that link was interesting reading, food for thought.

im definately going to sort the drainage out in the field next summer, the worst gateway is blocked off with electric fencing now, i have taken down some fencing and made a temp gateway on a drier bit of the field, my main concern is my horses hurting themselves, i.e pulled muscles in the mud, and with it only being the start of winter, its only going to get worse.
but you guys have given me plenty to think about and things to do to get us through till i can sort it out properly
thanks so much

waterhouse

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11:00 pm »
Yes of course you can.  We like the stuff that comes from scraped-off road surfaces when they resurface a road.  You can get special rubber mats with lots of holes but its an expensive way.

This year we've also gone for multiple field entrances to try to reduce the damage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS