Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wet, muddy fields and gateways please help  (Read 26280 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: wet, muddy fields and gateways please help
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2010, 12:56:08 pm »
good luck with the cement doganjo.

drainage is something i will look into in the spring, the field definately needs drainage but there is nowhere to drain too, no burns, no ditchs. and the top field is wetter than the bottom. roll on next spring think the field challenge is going to be expensive, and a learning curve, but worth it if i have a dryish field for my horses next winter.   :horse:

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2010, 01:08:40 pm »
We are in the same position but the land is too wet to get in and try and clear the ditches to improve drainage so.......our horrendous failed hay is coming in handy, laying it in the gateways is saving it a bit and come spring, it will reseed fine.  Have used hay before, definitely helps so if you have any old unusable stuff, use that!  I am putting mine mushroom side down!!  ;D

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 01:33:35 pm »
trouble i found with hay in my opinion is when feeding our sheep in the feeder they get it all over the floor it held the wet in the ground all year round and took ages to rot down when we cleared it up the area got really boggy as it was the wettest area in the field as the hay held the moisture  down and ended up being like a trampaline

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 07:44:35 pm »
Carpet in emergancies then prepare for next winter

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 04:23:05 pm »
heeps wool works in the short term, I use the daggings that I collect in a bag for such times

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »
heeps wool works in the short term, I use the daggings that I collect in a bag for such times

Hmmm. Wouldn't it cause a problem when the horses graze on it after the grass grows back?
 ???

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
nope it is organic and eventually rots away, my sheep sometimes graze with the horse and leave bits of wool around and I have never had a problem.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2010, 07:26:14 pm »
thats interesting the wool. i have been offered shells today, a lady i talked too today has a scallop factory and she has offered me the scallop shells, apparently farmers use them for muddy gateways, that may be an idea

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 07:45:33 pm »
take her up on the offer if there cheap or free then problem is  sorted free just smash them up  try get some weight on them maybe ask a neigbour to roll them  or maybe rent a wacker plate for a day to compact them down i need to find something for the ruts we got they are full of water all year round  so i need to sort that this year

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2010, 07:50:45 pm »
i will probably give her some hen eggs in exchange, thanks matty  :wave:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 08:06:44 pm »
how much shell can you get? allways get more in if you can  always comes in handy ruts and such like but just make sure you brake them up enough as they would be sharp under foot if you dont do it properly

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 08:12:28 pm »
not sure on the amount yet but will keep you posted, i will crush them well dont want any probs with horses feet . i hope you cure your rut problem

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 08:29:28 pm »
yeah i due to get some paving bricks  from a friend only about 200 of them so i hope to do the bulk of the ruts

Power Poultry

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Kings Lynn Norfolk
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2010, 11:00:02 am »
you can get rubber field mats they have holes in and let the water go away they made for gate ways.

Plus they made for horse paddocks very much like the rubber stable mats you get but with holes

Bearts of stowbridge sell them

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2010, 12:05:21 pm »
you can get rubber field mats they have holes in and let the water go away they made for gate ways.

Plus they made for horse paddocks very much like the rubber stable mats you get but with holes

Bearts of stowbridge sell them

Very expensive for the size of em I thought when I last looked.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS