Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Buying land for larger scale fruit/veg growing  (Read 2065 times)

finglas

• Joined Jun 2019
Buying land for larger scale fruit/veg growing
« on: February 05, 2020, 08:58:44 pm »
Hi everyone,

Looking for some general advice on the topic of buying some land. I'm sure these questions have been asked before but I used the search facility and couldn't find much that was directly relevant. If anyone knows where the threads are and is willing to link them here then I would be very grateful.

I like the idea of buying some land for either (or both) planting apple trees and vegetables. I don't have any intention of living on the land so I don't think I'd need to consider planning permission etc. Circumstances permitting and if it was practical I would like to keep some chickens on the land but this seems harder to manage, animals etc, much more of a commitment.

As a quick side note, I prefer the idea of buying the land, as opposed to renting, because 1) I don't think I'd lose much money so it doesn't seem risky, though I will stand corrected if anyone wants to put me straight there...
2) if I plant fruit trees on the land then I would need to be invested in it longer term to get the fruits of my labour! Haha

I am in central Scotland and have been growing veg and fruit trees for a few years now but just on a garde scale. I know that years ago fruit trees were grown commercially not too far from where I am now so the climate is at least reasonable! I am in South Lanarkshire and not far from the Clyde valley.

So my question is, how realistic is this idea
?
How much can one expect to pay per acre for agricultural land without planning permission?
I don't have a lot of money really but I have saved quite a bit because I'm still living at home and instead of leaving it in the bank I'd love to do something like this but I've no idea on how realistic it is both price wise and if you even get fields sold themselves as opposed to part of a larger farm. I have checked places like rightmove, on the market, Galbraith and other online land estate agents.

Any advice would be great and I hope you all have a lovely evening.

Jamie

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Buying land for larger scale fruit/veg growing
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:26 pm »
I just googled - https://content.knightfrank.com/research/443/documents/en/scottish-farmland-index-h1-2018-5695.pdf
Huge variations but average in 2018 was just under £5000 an acre.

Best I can suggest is go to a local farmer and ask, but I know that farmers by nature won't sell land if they aren't in dire need
I don't mean to be pessimistic, but you might be better investing your cash in a small house with a large garden, if you have enough for a deposit.  Maybe Mum and Dad might help too?

I'm near Stirling, and I downsized to a smaller house, but I have 2 fifths of an acre, and I'm planting up the main part of it with fruit trees and bushes.  So far I have two apple trees (dwarfs), and 3 bramble (including one white one)  I was given garden vouchers at christmas so will have fun buying more.
Good luck, what ever you decide
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 11:29:26 pm »
Hi Jamie

There's a big difference between the Clyde Valley and the surrounding farmland.  The valley itself is more of a gorge, so the old fruit farms down there were well protected from the winds that howl across Lanarkshire.  Once you get up on the flat land, it's far more difficult for fruit to survive. It then becomes essential to take altitude into consideration.  We are at 1,000 feet/300+metres.  Up here, although we are still technically in Clydesdale, growing fruit trees is not easy. I am still experimenting (after 25 years) to find which trees will do the best here. Then in the valley itself you have to consider frost pockets (for veg too of course) and air frost, and sun.  So, when looking at your proposed land there's a lot to bear in mind; you might find that a field in one place seems ideal, but 100m along the road the microclimate is totally different.  These differences will be reflected in the price!

I suggest you pop in to Lawrie and Symingtons in Lanark and ask in the office what land they might have coming up for sale.  A whole lot of land never makes it to the open market, as it will most likely be sold to the farm next door, after years of negotiation and haggling.  So your best bet would be when a farm was coming up for sale on the open market, and being divided into lots.  Find out all you can about land sales before you step in with a bid - you are likely to be disappointed many times before you get your land, unfortunately.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 11:32:34 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

finglas

• Joined Jun 2019
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:57:19 am »
Dogandjo, thanks for getting back to me, I appreciate your help. In a way putting money on a property and getting a mortgage is probably a more sensible long term. Unfortunately, it isn't really feasible because I'm not employed on a permanent contract and so the bank wouldn't entertain that. Obviously I am hopeful things become more secure employment wise at some point and so that will hopefully be an option in the future. I know considering buying a land when I don't own a property is maybe a bit mad, cart before the horse type stuff, I do appreciate that but with my current situation it is feasible at the moment but i do know it sounds a little bizarre.

Fleecewife. Thanks yes, i do remember hearing that younare definitely right. Where i grow some fruit trees at the moment along with the veg is normally always 2 degrees colder than where I actually stay. I am in East Kilbride and I know the elevation is greater here than nearby areas, we always get more snow for example. Thanks for your advice, i really appreciate it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS