Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time to see sense  (Read 3712 times)

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: New orchard
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2020, 05:35:20 am »
I don't want a commercial enterprise, I'm too old to start that now.  :roflanim: :roflanim:

I have two apple trees which will be plenty for my needs (and the birds) - they were gifts from my kids so they'e not going anywhere; and three bramble bushes, that are babies just now, will I am sure be fine in a year or so, and to be honest if they want to rampage along a fence they can feel free, the grass will either be cut  or trampled by dogs. 

I would like varieties of cherry, plum, and blackcurrant, and maybe gooseberry too.  Mainly it will be an area to wander through with the dogs on fine days, or look over from my verandah; and to pick fruit as it comes around, sit in  various seating areas (or as we call them in Aberdeen 'sitooteries'), and listen to the birds and watch the  squrrels
In which case tesco is your friend @ 2 for £10 and take a chance their tree varieties will fruit your way and a Wilco for the soft fruit.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Time to see sense
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2020, 12:27:48 pm »
That would be Wilko?  https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/garden-outdoor-living/planting-growing/c/1383

Never been there but it's only 25 mins away.  Tesco is 10 minutes so I'll check them out again, but all I could see last time was apples.

I have a lot of garden vouchers though, so perhaps I'll do what you suggest, PG, and use them for hard landscaping items
Thank you
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 05:27:12 pm »
I missed cherries at Tesco on my first hunt this year but they had a subsequent delivery which i bought out. They also had 5 apple varieties, 2 pears and a plum. Wilco usually stock soft fruit in decent condition around this time of year - i have bought blueberries there before but you have to be patient for some years with those. Currants and goosegogs will be quicker.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 05:08:28 am »
Aldi special buys this weekend include fruit trees: 7 apples, 5 pears, 3 plums and 3 cherries.
Price for a cut price place seems odd at £9.99 but apparently will include a stick, netting and compost. More peculiarly the description states 'grows to 1.6m' which i have to think is wrong and the tree provided will be that height unless it's something weird like a ballerina tree or patio tree.
Going to see them may be worth it with thoughts of cordoning pears if wanting variety.....

I could fancy a yellow plum to add to my collection

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS