Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cooking a Fray Bentos Pie  (Read 10148 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Re: Cooking a Fray Bentos Pie
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2020, 05:59:49 pm »
Findus crispy pancakes, I remember those! Loved them in my youth!

On a cutter in a CI iron pot on top of MF stove does not make a nice pie! Thought it was pastry as in flaky, more like suet with the taste! Didn't rise! Doughy taste and where was the filling?? Didn't over flow, got about 4 table spoons of minced beef if you could call it that!

Good job I had a lasagne cooking in another pot by the side of it! Finish that off tomorrow!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2020, 07:02:30 pm »
Findus crispy pancakes, I remember those! Loved them in my youth!

On a cutter in a CI iron pot on top of MF stove does not make a nice pie! Thought it was pastry as in flaky, more like suet with the taste! Didn't rise! Doughy taste and where was the filling?? Didn't over flow, got about 4 table spoons of minced beef if you could call it that!

Good job I had a lasagne cooking in another pot by the side of it! Finish that off tomorrow!

Even when you cook them properly in an oven, the bottom is soggy and there's little filling.  That's perhaps why they were given away  :yuck:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 02:33:39 am »
Oh dear, sorry to hear that.  They are clearly not as good as they used to be.  Mind, neither am I :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 02:50:39 pm »
Oh dear, sorry to hear that.  They are clearly not as good as they used to be.  Mind, neither am I :/
Bad pie = horridBad girl = popular

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 03:59:47 pm »

:roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 04:16:21 pm »

You mean we can look forward to soggy bottoms!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 04:17:40 pm »

You mean we can look forward to soggy bottoms!

We have been ooking at soggy bottoms in the rear view mirror for some time here... :/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS