Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Handling systems  (Read 1389 times)

farmerfred

• Joined Jun 2019
Handling systems
« on: January 14, 2020, 07:26:52 pm »
Hi guys, looking at purchasing some cattle soon and wondering what cattle handling systems people hand for small herds. Also am I right in thinking the productivity grant for handling systems has finished?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Handling systems
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 08:30:47 pm »
I think the grant has finished now, and it still required a substantial amount of expenditure to qualify. What are you looking to do with the cattle when handling- have you got a crush or do you need to start from scratch ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 09:29:58 pm »
Halters and a gate. And arnica.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 10:07:05 pm »
For milking we now have a “parlour” made out of scaffolding tube, and I am made up with it.  The girls are used to coming in and getting tied up with a few grass nuts, so we can do most of what we want with them in there :).   

We have to have a crush for our annual TB test (and it’s annual at least around here.). But thankfully there is a  generous beef farmer who lets us all borrow her mobile crush, and another generous local farmer who tractors it from farm to farm! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS