Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1280 times)

JEM2020

• Joined Jan 2020
Hello
« on: January 11, 2020, 08:55:34 pm »
Hi

I am new to this forum so thought I would introduce myself. I have a small flock of pedigree Suffolk sheep which I purchased last year. Always had a love for the Suffolk breed and I am really enjoying owning some although currently lambing at the moment and they are not like other sheep I have had. My family also has cross ewes, poll dorsets and Highland cows.  :)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 11:14:15 pm »
I know nothing about sheep JEM2020 (stupid greasy creatures and I'm not that keen on lamb/mutton), but just wanted to say welcome and ask "where are you"?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 08:34:58 am »
hello JEM2020  :wave:  good luck with your Suffolks and lambing  :fc:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 05:26:51 pm »
Hello from South Ayrshire  :wave:

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:43 pm »
Hi and welcome from South Wales :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 11:05:03 am »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: (but windy) Carnoustie  :wave:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 05:30:05 pm »
Welcome Jem2020, hope the lambing is going OK.
Why aren't they like other sheep ?

JEM2020

• Joined Jan 2020
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 03:25:09 pm »
Hi All,

Thank you for the welcome and sorry for the late reply but still lambing and it isn't going too well - two gimmers lambed so far - first one lambed fine with a little assitance but the lamb just didn't have a heart beat and the second one was breached and also needed lambing but the lamb didn't survive. Not a great start but hoping it will get better! A neighbouring farmer told me that all I have lost is time and not to count the losses but to count the percentages at the end of lambing. The Suffolks seem to be a bit different from the other sheep we have - especially the gimmers with it being their first time and they seem to be a bit lazy and need assistance in lambing - I might be wrong but that is my impression at the moment. I purchased a camera for the shed from Livestockeye which arrived yesterday and I am so impressed with it as the farm is about half a mile from the house so its a perfect way for me to keep an eye on them without having to pop up and down the road every couple of hours. I am based on the Isle of Arran.  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 06:43:13 pm »
Absolutely, always focus on the live ones and don't get hung up over the ones that didn't make it to the other side of their first feed.   :hug:  Time enough after lambing is over to look back and reflect on whether any changes in system or husbandry could improve live births another time.  Right now, you and the sheep need you fit, active, positive and confident! 

But, they always say that with lambing, you get your problems at the beginning or the end, so hopefully it will pick up and get better soon!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 12:38:41 pm »
Sorry to hear about you poor start to lambing Jem, hopefully the ewes are OK,  and as said, no point in worrying about the ones lost, hope things pick up for the future lambings  :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS