Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One kind of animal or multiple for planning?  (Read 1851 times)

01smartc

• Joined Jan 2020
One kind of animal or multiple for planning?
« on: January 03, 2020, 11:19:43 pm »
Hi all,

We have just bought 8 acres of land with a few barns and temporary dwelling permission. So we are living in a static and now starting the journey towards getting full planning.

We mainly do horses and buy and sell a few dressage horses but the planners dont seem to keen on that or seem to understand it really.

So we are looking into doing some ‘real’ farming to help the planning along.

Would we be best to concentrate on one type of animal, sheep for example, and do more of them. Or have a few different ones. Sheep, pigs & turkeys for example.

If just one, which one is best for planning?

Any advice or help would be great

We are based Derbyshire if that makes a difference

Thank you

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: One kind of animal or multiple for planning?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 08:49:26 pm »
Hi how long temporary permission did you get ? i thought the norm was now  3 years and very rarely extended
To set up a business that will meet the qualifying criteria from scratch in 3 years will be a struggle.
May be a good thing dressage horses to add to income.
But are they insisting on agricutral use ?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:38:16 pm »
I don't know [member=198710]01smartc[/member] , but your post got me to thinking!

I can imagine that planners could be a bit cautious (even dubious) as regards a horse-sales business, especially if you do not have a stud farm, given the preponderance of folk who fill their fields with horses for what are essentially leisure related purposes! 
If you are not already registered with HMRC as having a horse-sales business, then you should register I would suggest!

As to demonstrating an agricultural use, my head says that one type of animal would better suggest an earnest business endeavor (along-side the horse sales biz) as opposed to a hobby farm activity.

I would also suggest you cross all digits very tightly as regards gaining PP idc for permanent domestic occupation.  That said, I wish you very good luck.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 11:38:47 pm »
Suggestbyou first take advice about the conversion of 'redundant' agricultural buildings  into housing. That has been allowed elsewhere especially when the local plan is not deemed sufficient to meet projected housing needs

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 09:59:30 pm »
If you have some substantial barns, it might be worth looking at class Q permitted development, and converting one of them to a dwelling, without having to make a living from agriculture.
If you are still planning on converting your temporary permission to permanent, then you need to provide proof that you can make at least the basic minimal wage from your land. And you can't make a living from sheep on 8 acres. You could, however do it with poultry or pigs. Whether you go for one or both is up to you. Either is possible.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS