Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dogs & dog showing.  (Read 4301 times)

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
Dogs & dog showing.
« on: December 29, 2019, 07:31:43 am »
So unfortunately I lost my old boy quite suddenly & I was looking at terrier breeds & ended up with a Wire fox terrier  & I accidentally have after buying my new dog found myself & with the help of some good breeders gotten into showing, she's only 10 months but on her 1st proper show, a champ show she took home two 1sts & two 2nds 2 of which qualifying her for cruft's & lots of other prizes along the way.

Just to note she does go round the farm getting muddy & I am trying to start working with her as well as her being a pet so she's not just a glorified show dog.

How many others of you do it on the site? x
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 07:34:13 am by Shropshirelass »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Dogs & dog showing.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:26:31 am »
Lovely looking dog. I have shown lurchers which work and working scars are accepted. I'm not sure at your level though but there are people on here better qualified to comment.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 12:32:51 pm »
I've shown my Brittanys since I took the first one into Scotland in 1983

Over the last 36 years I have owned or bred an International Champion, two irish Champions, two UK champions, and a few with CCs and Reserve Ccs.

They have all, except my most recent pup, worked to the gun with either of my two late husbands or myself, as well as doing obedience - all have been awarded the Kennel Club Good Citizen Gold.

All of them have also been my companions.

I became ill not long after i got my youngster so I'm not now able to take her out shooting, but we have a 47 acres Forestry commission woodland nearby to play at working in.

That's an impressive set of wins, you must have a good one there!  I can see a champion coming   :excited: :excited:  Good luck xx  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :trophy: :trophy:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 10:03:44 am »
Well Doganjo this is how I've done with her so far below, & I don't know if you know any of the breeders / kennel names if you're familiar with the breed at all & I've tried putting a few more pics up for you.

Well what a year 2019 was Fleur (Coldrook Candy) a little lady walked into my life almost by chance, who I bought more or less as a pet & worker. But after some very good advice from different people I was advised to show her. In her first 3 shows 2 results qualifying her for Crufts in her 1st ever show.

Wire Fox Terrier Association champ show:
1st - Minor puppy bitch
1st - Novice bitch
2nd - Puppy bitch
2nd - Special beginner's

Newtown & district canine society limit show:
*AVNSC Terrier group puppy
1st AVNSC Terrier group junior
1st Junior dog or bitch
4th Puppy AV dog or bitch
4th AV not bred by handler

Birmingham Fox Terrier champ show
1st - Puppy bitch
2nd - Special beginner's
2nd - Novice bitch
4th (Reserve) - Junior bitch
We would have liked to do a few more shows but due to a few reasons couldn't but in our 1st year including results from 2 match nights & a couple of companion shows & 2 championship shows & a limit show we've racked up:
*Best Avsnc terrier puppy
5 x1sts
5x2nds
1x3rd
4x4ths
So after a lot of hard work & with a dog that's not even 12 months yet that I bought just as a pet, proud is an understatement!
We wouldn't have gotten to this stage without nice & supportive ringcraft groups such as Clun Ringcraft & Newtown & district canine society & advice from top breeders in the breed & special thanks to Carl Adshead of Shoalhill Wire fox Terriers & Rachel Pearce of Alkinra Wire Fox Terriers for all the grooming & mentoring advice xx

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 11:47:14 am »
WOW!!! That is an impressive list.  Good luck for  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:2020
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 12:49:42 pm »
Ai now to sort the paperwork out for crufts & I've got a small shopping list to get for her, treated myself to a new tweed waistcoat for showing  ;D ;D ;D

Its sods law that I've spent more on her lately than myself & we would have entered more shows if it wasn't due to work commitments & having some skin problems that needed fixing. Dogs eh?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 03:38:05 pm »
Ai now to sort the paperwork out for crufts & I've got a small shopping list to get for her, treated myself to a new tweed waistcoat for showing  ;D ;D ;D

Its sods law that I've spent more on her lately than myself & we would have entered more shows if it wasn't due to work commitments & having some skin problems that needed fixing. Dogs eh?
  Don't we all?  :innocent: :innocent:
Assuming this is your frst trip to Crufts, make sure you wear well worn in comfortable shoes and just change for showing if you need to.  And take in a few empty bags as you'll easily fill them with the special offer goodies. There aren't the same freebies as you used to get though.  A rucksack or wheeled bag is very useful too

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 10:26:13 pm »
Yeah no this isn't my 1st trip to Crufts, well it is as an exhibitor / owner but I have been as a visitor a few times, but I've already got a small shopping list in mind, which I must try & stick to.... ::) I'm lucky in a sense that the dog I'm showing & will be taking isn't really toy orientated, so we wont be buying loads of new toys, But its her 1st Birthday the day after the show so I may spoil her a little x

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2020, 05:24:39 pm »
You have well and truely got the bug now. Lovely wee dog. Have lots of fun.

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:20:17 pm »
Ai its bad that most of my week currently revolves around something about her mostly lol we've had bath night (Which doesn't happen very often - except before shows), ringcraft tomorrow night & sending someone to collect flea treatments tomorrow, & then the groomers on Friday.

My week & days off involve a trip to the opticians & maybe the drs if I'm lucky  ::)

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 09:48:11 am »
How are you getting on work wise?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS