Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hedge Laying Insurance  (Read 1929 times)

LindaBlower

• Joined Dec 2019
Hedge Laying Insurance
« on: December 18, 2019, 02:30:44 pm »
Hello, wondered if anyone could help us!? My partner has just started out in his hedge laying business after becoming fully qualified with the HLS and is looking for some insurance in order to be fully covered on another persons property, any help of which companies to look into/go with would be wonderful and what type of cover he would require?? Thanks in advance! Linda :thumbsup:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Hedge Laying Insurance
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 06:50:31 pm »
Try the NFU.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 07:03:57 pm »
Yes, NFU would be a good starting point - they are not the cheapest, but pay out promptly if needed.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 07:05:16 pm »
[member=198490]LindaBlower[/member]  We found the NFU was charging us for all sorts of things we didn't need cover for.  I can only suggest your partner takes advice from other hedgelayers, or with the scheme he did his training with.

As an aside, whereabouts are you, as we could use a hedgelayer here (Southern Scotland, with accommodation)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

LindaBlower

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 11:29:32 am »
Thanks, NFU is the only one I can seem to find that will cover him? Just wondered if there were any other options, to compare with. They are ringing me back though as unsure what insurance he would require so they're looking into it.
[member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] I think it might be a little far for him lol we're from the midlands, Burton on trent. I'll let him know haha.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 12:27:46 pm »
Ah well, but if he ever wants a trip to the south of Scotland, which is not really that far  :eyelashes:  then here we are with all our  :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: :tree: s, and no local hedgelayers in sight.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 02:47:49 pm »
Don't get me started on insurance one of the biggest scams going and mostly sold on the basis of fear. IMHO you only need insurance for those things you couldn't afford to pay for yourself; like your house burning down.

Now I've had my rant I'd say that all he probably needs is general business liablity insurance of which there are many companies offering quotes. Google will bring up loads of comparison sites etc

However, it may be worth joining (or at least enquiring about) The National Hedgelaying Society
https://www.hedgelaying.org.uk
as they may well have contacts with insurers who are knowledgeable about it.

The NFU are probably not the people for this IMHO and tend to be quite expensive at renewal time!

LindaBlower

• Joined Dec 2019
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 03:33:20 pm »
[member=8543]henchard[/member]  Thankyou for the information!
He's only inquiring about insurance due to doing work for a 'duchy estate' who wants proof of insurance.
He is already a member of the hedge laying society and I have previously asked him to get in touch with them and ask their opinion so i'll try that again.
Thankyou for your reply!

and [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member]  haha! Thank you! You never know he might be up for it, depending on the size of the job? How many metres i could have a week to myself!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 04:03:31 pm »
I think he would need to be well covered for personal injury.

I've just been looking round our hedges with Mr F, [member=198490]LindaBlower[/member] , and he's pointed out that the work here is perhaps not straight forward.  For one thing, most of the hedges are double fenced against livestock, so one side would have to be taken down by us.  There are lengths without fencing, but perhaps not long enough to attract him up here.  There's lots of tree work to be done this winter too, so we'll just work our way slowly through it all.  Good luck anyway with the new endeavour

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS