Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Misplaced ear tag  (Read 1380 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Misplaced ear tag
« on: November 30, 2019, 09:10:39 pm »
My ram’s ear tag has moved. The front part with the numbers on has gone backward and it’s this part that’s going through the hole, and the small end that should be in hole is out the back. I’ve tried pushing it forwards again, without, and then with, someone to hold him but he’s jerking his head around, and running off, and I’m having no luck getting it back in place. Is it possible to unpopper it somehow and then put it back in right?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Misplaced ear tag
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 09:34:07 pm »
If it’s still in his ear it’s fine.  Unless you need to be able to see the numbers visually?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 11:02:03 pm »
Yes it’s still in his ear, just not sitting right. Didn’t want it causing discomfort. I don’t know how he’s moved it as he’s not one for sticking his head through fences or the like. Must have been something to force the corner bit through.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 12:27:32 am »
If it goes septic (infected) cut it out, spray the wound and replace with a new one in a different part of the ear (use the same numbers that are printed on it- just order from your tag supplier). If it isn’t looking infected I’d leave it be.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 12:53:21 am »
I think the fact that he's not letting you try to move the tag around indicates that it's hurting or annoying him.  Is it crusty round about the tag hole?  is it red?  Before you try to move it again, soak with warm water to release any crusty bits, clean the tag too, then push the tag back through.  The hole may have been stretched in which case it will just fall out or push through again, and you would need to replace the tag.  I know many folk don't like using blue spray, but for a potentially infected ear, or one with a raw hole, I think it's justified.   To hold him still, reverse him into a corner, hold him crushed into the corner by one of your legs at his neck and chest preventing him from pushing forwards, and the other in front of his back leg.  Tags are hateful things.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 06:50:22 am »
From what you describe I think it is possible to put the tag back on the right position (it came out of that position after all), but its taken quite a bit of force to get it back and probably hurt quite a bit, you might be best to cut it out and re-tag. If the 'wide' part of the tag is through the ear I think it does irritate them and you can end up with an open bloody wound

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 08:19:15 am »
I would leave it alone.  He still has a tag and that is the important thing.  Many sheep have rotated tags to no ill effect.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 12:10:06 pm »
I agree with Buttermilk. Provided there is no sign of infection leave it be. Poor lad has suffered enough with the bloody things

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 07:40:09 pm »
Had another look today. It doesn’t look sore and it’s not bleeding. To the front/inside of his ear there is a largish lump by the tag, but if memory serves this was always partly visible when it was in the right place. I’d take a guess that it’s scar tissue from when he was originally tagged. It’s not swollen, crusty, or inflamed, but the oblong part is now going through. Typically it’s his EID tag  ::)
I think I’ll keep an eye on it and see how he gets on. I would guess it’s probably me trying to correct it that’s causing him discomfort rather than it being sore. Plus as Fleecewife says, it could just keep rotating back through now if the hole’s been stretched. Bloody things  >:(
Thanks for the tip on how to “restrain” him. He is a sweetheart but I’m no match for him if he sets his mind to something!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS