Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 plots of land and 1 caravan?  (Read 2298 times)

Drewski

• Joined Nov 2019
2 plots of land and 1 caravan?
« on: November 28, 2019, 02:41:12 pm »
Hey guys,

Glad to find this forum!

I'm married with 2 kids and I'm really interested in homesteading / smallholding.

I have looked around and can't seem to see any answer to this question I have. With the law currently standing as it is as far as somebody buying a piece of land and siting a caravan, I understand that you can only stay in your caravan for 28 days. If I have two plots of land and move the caravan from one site to the other every 28 days do you think that would get around it?

The two plots of land will be in different areas, so I'm not trying to do do the whole, split up one plot into two just in case you're interested.  ;)

Cheers

Drew
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:47:01 pm by Drewski »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: 2 plots of land and 1 caravan?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 05:11:14 pm »
I think it’s 28 days in total in any twelve month period.  So you’d need 13 plots of land ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 08:17:35 pm »
It is definitely 28 days in a year for camping/caravan (= 56 days for you p.a. on 2 plots of land).

At one time it was possible to live in a motor-home (a truck with living accommodation) that was still mobile, BUT I seem to think that that loop-hole has been closed-off.  You might want investigate this, but I expect someone here will soon advise (almost certainly to advise/confirm that the loop-hole has been shut-down).

A potentially more viable option (although much more expensive) would be to find camp sites in your area/s with all-year round licenses:  none will/may allow 12 month pitching, but some might allow pitching up to as much as 11 months.

Where are you Drewski - are you in a very remote area or in a highly populated rural area?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 08:26:20 pm by arobwk »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2019, 09:21:05 pm »
Without wishing to be bleak Drewski (and failing!) - this forum is full of people trying to find a way  live on a bit of land without planning permission and basically it can't be legally done. Quite simply it's to stop our green and pleasant land being littered with shacks, caravans, sheds, converted buses and lorries,  and "eco friendly houses".  :sunshine:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Dookie

• Joined Dec 2018
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:33:34 pm »
Yes... and whilst I agree in principle, I can't help thinking that the vast sprawl of new developments, some of which contain 600+ houses, often on greenbelt land, are ruining that green & pleasant land in a way that we can never recover from... at least caravans, sheds, etc can eventually be cleared.
What it's about is money... a developer will pay the LPA some money which they say will "mitigate the environmental impact of that development"... I just fail to see how this works...?! :(

PS: I've lost my original post ....thought I'd bookmarked it... but nope!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 07:29:07 pm »
New developments at maybe 14 houses/acre take up a lot less land than caravans, shacks, converted lorries etc at 1 on a couple of acres+ .

Yes a motley and unregulated selection of habitations could eventually be cleared, but they'd only be replaced by another. You surely don't believe the inhabitants are just going to vanish into thin air?

You may be against new developments en masse Dookie - but people have to live somewhere with an ever increasing population and it is more efficient of land use to have them in one place, rather than scattered at will with no regulation.

But - each to his own. :thumbsup: I am at the moment trying to get a project through planning and would that it was as easy as bribing the LPA with endless promises! I'm afraid there are now multiple  planning policies to be adhered to which we all have to follow. Believe me, if it were possible to side track them I would have got my planning permission some years ago.   :sunshine:

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS