Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: himalayan salt lick recommendations  (Read 2968 times)

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
himalayan salt lick recommendations
« on: November 25, 2019, 04:57:53 pm »
Our 3 sheep have in a matter of weeks, with the help of the nonstop rain, demolished a Himalayan salt lick I gave them. Can they overdose on this stuff - it appears to be like 'crack' for sheep!

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
Re: himalayan salt lick recommendations
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 07:07:12 pm »
You’ll need to keep it out of the rain or it will dissolve.
My block has lasted our 3 sheep a year and is about 2/3 the size it was when i bought it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 09:38:12 pm »
Make sure the container it is in has good drainage, or most of it is going in the soil ;)   If you place them on the ground they won’t last long at all in rain.

We drill holes in the bottom and low down on the sides of an empty lick bucket or trug, then fix that container inside an old tyre.  They will still go down quicker in very wet weather than in dry, but nothing like as fast as if they are straight on the ground.

[member=2128]Womble[/member] makes rainhats for his... ;p

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 10:34:04 pm »
Himalayan salt blocks for sheep !!  Whatever next?  vegpatch, you need to start thinking about your salt miles  ;)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 11:14:49 pm »
Pink Himalayan sea salt contains over 84 minerals and trace elements, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper and iron,

It would be great if we could find similar under the ground here, but in the absence of a locally-produced mineral-rich additive-free salt, I too will be putting out the lumps of hand-mined ancient salt from the Punjab.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 01:42:49 am »
I bought my first one on Saturday. For the goats. They had them where I borrowed the billy from.
But mainly because I seem to have mislaid my big 'Red Rocky'.

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 06:41:08 am »
I've made a holder from a ?5 gallon liquids container. 
Cut out a square on the side, a few drain holes in the base and tie to the fence rails.It's worked really well for big rockies blocks and the salt, I was getting fed up of the rockies getting wasted in the rain.If it stops raining long enough later I'll get a photo for you.

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 10:01:44 am »
Many thanks for all the suggestions - will see what I can bodge by way of a holder this weekend.  Re salt miles - yes, it doesn't sit well with me but was all I could find at the local feed store that didn't have copper/molasses in it - and molasses, long woolled sheep and a never ending slimy hoard of giant slugs isn't a pretty mix :yuck:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 10:45:43 am »
this works well.

vegpatch

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 11:54:14 am »
Thanks Dogwalker - that looks great.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS