Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Pork box'  (Read 2023 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
'Pork box'
« on: November 08, 2019, 12:32:58 pm »
We have 4 more pigs ready to go. Last batch we sold off in '1/4 pig' batches but a lot of folk found that too much for their freezers. This time I'd like to sell more manageable sized batches. Does anyone else do this? I'd want to ensure the whole pig is used...…. Suggestions for contents of a family box would be useful...….

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
Re: 'Pork box'
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 09:18:24 pm »
Hope you managed to sort after.  I found pork really hard to shift.  1/4 isnt much either.  Id assume 1 joint/1 pk chops/1 mince/1pk sausage type of thing but if you had 4 pigs thats a lot of packs you need to work out a value.  I stopped selling pork after the last fiasco when I couldnt find people to take it even after they said theyd have it.

cambee

• Joined Feb 2017
  • High Peak
Re: 'Pork box'
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 06:36:07 am »
We did as suggested on the Oakland’s pig book and offered 2 different size boxes, £30 or £60. I’d already decided a price per kilo for each different cut whether it be leg or sausage or whatever and then I made up a mixed box according to the price. Each £30 box contained a joint, sausages and chops. We had customers in advance but not many as it was our first 2 pigs but everyone who purchased seemed happy. We made enough to just cover the costs of the pigs plus raising them (but not capital costs such as ark and fencing, that’ll take a few years). Our initial customer base was enough as I also wanted to fill our freezer but next time we will have to build on it if we want to make any sort of profit. Btw I’d also had to invest in the boxes and in some weighing and pricing scales!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS