Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just searching so many questions !!!  (Read 923 times)

nin

• Joined Feb 2019
Just searching so many questions !!!
« on: November 08, 2019, 08:27:11 am »
We are currently looking for a smallholding with holiday let’s as a “semi retirement” plan ????????
As novice home buyers having only ever purchased one house before and never land it brings so much confusion.
My latest worry is purchasing surveys .
We do not have a mortgage to worry about but what sort of survey do you get if your buying land and outbuildings as well as a house and what does it cost ?
Will be so glad when we are on to the bit I understand plants, animals and building work!????

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Just searching so many questions !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 09:59:41 am »
Can't help with the query but welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 06:48:25 pm »
nin,  I would suggest you are worrying too much about surveys. 
Your conveyancing solicitor will offer a range of relevant surveys depending on what and where you are buying.  They will (should) also give you a price for each survey. 
My land was my 1st 'land' purchase also and my solicitor sent me a range of survey options:  I rejected several suggested surveys as being a waste of money for my bit of land.  I recollect, for example, rejecting utilities survey and the mining/China Clay operations survey:  I already knew what utilities were available/installed across my fairly "remote" bit of land and I knew from web searches that my bit of land might, in very distant future, be sequestered for Imerys' china clay operations - as I said to solicitor, I'll be very old by time Imerys turn up demanding I sell them my land (if ever) and they will need to pay fair value.

Just consider and discuss with your solicitor or other provider of conveyance services when the time comes !
Also, cost of any/various surveys will almost certainly be a small fraction of your total conveyance fees.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:53:50 pm by arobwk »

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 11:14:46 am »
We had a full structural survey done on our converted victorian cowshed which was well worth the money and helped us negotiate a lower purchase price.

For the legal stuff, make sure that you use a local rural solicitor who is used to the buying and selling of land as well as property. They will understand issues such as shooting rights and chancel tax (although I'm not sure that the latter is an issue any more). Ours was very helpful and we had several discussions about these issues at no extra cost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS