Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sending a movement licence for a sheep bought from a large sale?  (Read 2284 times)

RosemaryFenShetlandSheep

• Joined Dec 2018
Hi,
If I buy a sheep from a large show/sale like Melton Mowbray or Great Yorkshire, do I need to send a movement form with all the details or will the show already have done this with the details they have? Or does it differ depending on the show? I suppose there isn't any harm in sending one anyway, but how do you find out a show's CPH etc. if I do send one? Thanks!

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Sending a movement licence for a sheep bought from a large sale?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:13:31 pm »
The auction will normally read all the tags and send all the details sellers /buyers etc electronically for you  , if not then they will give you movement documents which you can email

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:17:14 pm »
Shows like the GYS do not sell stock, you will be buying from a private individual so it would be their holding numbers on the forms.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 11:09:09 pm »
Bit late to this but curious, if the sheep are being sold by an exhibitor at say, GYS, then there will have been a movement form filled in with destination GYS CPH, therefore surely the  CPH on the form should be from the GYS, not the vendors CPH?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 07:54:18 am »
Bit late to this but curious, if the sheep are being sold by an exhibitor at say, GYS, then there will have been a movement form filled in with destination GYS CPH, therefore surely the  CPH on the form should be from the GYS, not the vendors CPH?

Never sold sheep from a show but with pigs when you set up a return move from a show electronically there is an option for pigs not returning home but going to another person.

I would have thought like Penninehillbilly that sheep sold at a show would move from that CPH to the new owner just like sheep returning home from a show return from the show CPH.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 10:50:25 am »
A lot of show venues do not have a CPH number.  I would expect them to show as from the vendors CPH.

Twotwo

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 11:27:30 am »
Last year I bought a couple of sheep from a show.. the vendor did a movement license from his CPH to the show’s CPH then I did one from the show to my CPH ... at all the agricultural shows I have been to (not that many) you have to do movement licenses both to and from the show.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 01:17:55 pm »
Buttermilk, that is a surprise, most shows I've known have a CPH,
how do they deal with animals movement recording?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2020, 04:09:10 pm »
Buttermilk, that is a surprise, most shows I've known have a CPH,
how do they deal with animals movement recording?

The only shows I know that wouldn't have a CPH would be ones where the livestock are already on site for eg. our local country fair do a clipping demo and the sheep belong to that CPH. Any show that has livestock arriving from elsewhere should have a CPH. The CPH isn't necessarily the vendor just the place where the animals have been kept, even though it might be temporary. If you didn't licence to and from the CPH how do you trace movements in disease outbreak?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2020, 08:10:40 pm »
It is a while since I used to show my goats so things could have changed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS