Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cordless vacuum cleaners  (Read 5440 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Cordless vacuum cleaners
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:38:21 pm »
I really don't vacuum-clean enough and I'm thinking a battery powered/cordless vacuum cleaner might incline me towards a quick clean more often.  But it has to be on the cheap (no Dyson or Shark, for example).  To note also, I have 2 dogs so pet-hair capabilties important.  (My present vacuum is a Henry with the boost switch, which I reckon can beat pretty much any other cleaner, but it's the wire & hose that stops me doing a flash clean.)

Plenty of unknown (inevitably Chinese) brands available via Amazon/ebay:  some actually look/sound really rather good, with decent user reviews. for some £120-£140.
Has anyone crossed their fingers and bought one of these "unfamiliar" brands (e.g. HCBOO, Onson, Alfa Wise etc, etc) and are you happy ? 

Also, any recommends for in-expensive models from familiar Brands (e.g. Hoover, VAX etc etc)  ?  Unfortunately, familiar Brands seem to be very reluctant about declaring what motor power/suction power etc their offerings provide for the money !! 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:16:14 pm by arobwk »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Cordless vacuum cleaners
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 08:01:03 pm »
I bought a Shark - really like it, it is powerful, but also very expensive.  My friend bought a G tech - about the same price and just as good, she lent it me when I moved home.

However, I accidentally left my Shark charger in a bag with plugs etc for the fish tank i sold just before I moved and didn't get it back.  I mislaid my friend's charger too - so when in Tesco I spotted a few at what i thought were silly prices in comparison.  So I had a look at what they all could do.  I plumped for a Morphy richards - which I thought was a decent name in electricals.  It is very useful, has good suction power, takes up dog hair and even bits of dog and cat food, and has a removable section for the car or stairs (I don't have any but might use it for the car).  I hardly believed teh price - £59.  Well worth it in my opinion.  I'll definitely get a new charger for my Shark though - the reason being it has a bigger container so I can do two rooms before emptying as opposed to one.  But I could have had 4 or 5 of these for what i paid for the Shark.
So go down to your nearest tesco and compare what they have.
Hope that helps
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:42:31 pm »
vacuum cleaners,   :thinking:  an interesting concept.  Hard floors here just a mop and scrub . rugs go out on the line for a beating ( and sometimes a lung full of dust ! )

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 09:22:46 pm »
vacuum cleaners,   :thinking:  an interesting concept.  Hard floors here just a mop and scrub . rugs go out on the line for a beating ( and sometimes a lung full of dust ! )
Strong arms is something I don't have, so beating rugs is well out of my league ........ not to mention reverting to my grannie's days (and I'm 75 !!!  )
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 12:27:35 am »

Thinking you must be dealing with single-storey dwelling.  I'm beginning to wish for similar:  not so easy to swish a mop/broom through 3 storeys (even though I'm into rugs rather than carpets).  Down-sizing is on the cards though & single storey would be oh so good.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 12:40:54 am »
We love our Miele cat and dog because it really does clear up hairs even on a carpet. They're not cheap though. Our elder daughter who is ridiculously house-proud (I think someone swapped our babies at birth)s and she loved ours so much, she's bought herself one.

smhowie

• Joined May 2014
  • irvine, ayrshire, scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 07:47:40 am »
just bought a shark its brilliant great suction and light even my six year old grandson can use it. have to very hairy border collies and as grandson says it brings the carpets back to their normal colour.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 06:27:30 pm »
just bought a shark its brilliant great suction and light even my six year old grandson can use it. have to very hairy border collies and as grandson says it brings the carpets back to their normal colour.
But £2 to 300 is a lot of money.  My Morphy Richards is as good but just needs emptying more often

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 10:46:30 pm »
Well, several opinions on this matter (thank you) with most going for the premium brands (not-cheap) options.

However, I am not about to spend loads of money on a cordless vacuum.  Neither am I prepared to buy on the basis of general advertising blurb:  I'm not interested to buy if they are not prepared to quote some sort of comparator rating (motor Watts, Kpa, AirWatts).

In one comparative review that I found, an Onson brand model (£140 - Amazon offer price £110) knocked a Dyson V8 (£300++) into 5th place for various reasons !!  (It was Shark, Gtech & Bosch models that beat the Onson into 4th place though.) 

At the mo' I'm tempted by a Hosome brand vacuum with 12Kpa standard suction rating and 20Kpa boost rating (that suggests quite good suction, even in standard mode).  However, I've noted that a refurbished Dyson V6 Animal (1 yr warranty) can be got for £150 and Dyson reckon it produces 100 AirWatts, which is v good for a cordless "upright".  (Edit:  I believe AirW measure is the best way to rate I believe cubic capacity per minute is the best way to rate a vacuum cleaner, although few manufacturers divulge that rating for their machines, including, I believe, Dyson !!)

Not sure which way I will go yet.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 05:06:43 pm by arobwk »

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 09:21:24 am »
For soemthing like this I;d go with the lidl/aldi option - cheapish and if its crap you take it back. Either way you usually get a 3yr warranty and they do honour it. I've got their henry style vacs in barn (for the car) and in my hobby shed (too far to keep carting it except when used for the chimney sweeping).
V had to have something with bigger capacity 'cos she's lazy about emptying the darned things but then it's too heavy for her to lift so a  moderate priced upright for upstairs - and 'cos V kills vacuum cleaners (an art form she has developed that no-one understands) we have a spare.
I suppose that makes us a 5 vacuum family.
Tiles and laminated floors here but they still need a sweep and a vacuum before mopping so obviosuly you guys don't make enough dust and mud.
When i had my clinic which was airport quality ceramic tiles and epoxy grout throughout - and which obviously took heavy traffic and pet hair and mud on wet days that was cleaned routinely with sweeping and then a floor scrubber. BUT when we did our regular deep cleans it was still more efficient to get down on hands and knees with a scrubbing brush to do it properly. And not JUST cos I liked to see my nurse on their knees.....It was the best way of really cleaning floors.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 06:57:51 pm »
I have a Dyson V6 and love it.  Sorry haven’t used any (cheaper) others to compare.

I rang Dyson to ask their advice about what model and type I needed, and it was they said the plain V6 would meet my needs.  The Animal option would have added an extra head for hair/fur, I think, which I’ve had before (on a full size Dyson) and didn’t think I needed.  I would recommend talking to them as their staff are very good at knowing what to ask and what will work for you - and may have end of line offers or even reconditioned ones they can offer.  (I paid quite a bit less over the phone than I would have online, partly because she said the lower spec, older model would suit me fine and partly because she was able to add an extra discount.)

I do find the quick-and-easiness of it means I am more inclined to do a quick whizz round more often.  On the regular setting it’ll do my whole small flat (two floors) easily; on the Max setting it’ll suck up absolutely anything like a full size Dyson will, but can only run on that setting for a few minutes before needing a recharge.  I don’t need to use that setting very often, though, even with a hairy border collie, even when she’s moulting.

The tiny dust collector is a bit of a pest; I get a lot of dust and hairs, so usually have to empty it two or three times if I’m doing the whole flat.  But it’s easy enough to do; I just hold the bin bag around it and do it in there.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 05:00:20 pm »
Further to:
Despite SiN's thumbs-up on the Dyson V6, I've decided against. (Because I hate hoovering, even cordless will mean it is fairly intermittent and the limited Dyson V6 staying power might not work for me - 20 mins or 6 mins in high power mode.)

I happened across a Lidl offering last Sat - named as the " Candy All Surfaces 10 " (catchy !  :D );  can't remember price, but well below £100. Someone had ripped open a box so I pressed the trigger and wasn't impressed by the puny sounding motor and suction.  OK, the battery won't have been at full charge, but I won't be going down this route never the less.  (To note that Candy doesn't even recognise that it offers a cordless vaccum cleaner on its web-site !)

I might wait see if I can find a Black Friday deal idc.  (Same will apply, unfortunately, to a new laptop as existing is throwing some wobblies that I'm not confident I can cure.)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 05:21:45 pm »

I might wait see if I can find a Black Friday deal idc.  (Same will apply, unfortunately, to a new laptop as existing is throwing some wobblies that I'm not confident I can cure.)

If you're up to doing a quick whiz round when visitors arrive unexpectedly (while they are getting out of the car and making their way to the door, having sensed them coming along the road  :eyelashes: :eyelashes:) then the Morphy Richards £59 jobbie is for you.

Worked perfectly this morning for my sister and husband arriving - expected, but I got distracted.  Did all the necessary areas in the required time  :innocent:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 06:56:17 pm »
I have a Bosch Athlet 25v. Runs for 60 mins Cost £136. This is my 2nd cordless Bosch and I think it is great. We have 3 dogs in the house. I do have a Henry but I only use that now and again. Such a hassle to get it out of the cupboard and put together.I also have joint problems in my hands , hips, and back so find the cordless easier to use.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2019, 12:11:00 am »
If you're up to doing a quick whiz round when visitors arrive unexpectedly (while they are getting out of the car and making their way to the door, having sensed them coming along the road  :eyelashes: :eyelashes: ) then the Morphy Richards £59 jobbie is for you.

Worked perfectly this morning for my sister and husband arriving - expected, but I got distracted.  Did all the necessary areas in the required time  :innocent:
A little more training of guests and they'll bring their own vacuum..... :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS