Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving soon  (Read 5649 times)

HappyHippy

Re: Moving soon
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 07:55:46 am »
Wow, you must be so excited ! Great news Scotelf  ;D
On the planning side - if you can show, not only, that you'll be running a viable business but that you'll be creating jobs or boosting the local economy that will win brownie points with the planners. We tried for 4 years to get PP to build a house on my dad's land (converting an existing building that was in dis-repair) but they were having none of it :( If you haven't already, get a business plan drawn up (business gateway are a good source of help) and be prepared for battle ;) I suppose it depends where you are, but the planners in South Lanarkshire aren't the most helpfull or forthcoming with information, hope yours are better !
Good luck & keep us posted, when you can
Karen x

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »
Exciting!  That's my ideal next step too, if I can find the right land in the right place soon enough to still have a bit of savings in the bank!

Keep us updated as you get on, I'll learn from your story I'm sure and enjoy your adventures.  Where is your land - Fife is notoriously difficult to get planning but I'm hoping to move centrally/west...
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 06:51:48 pm »
Don't want to say too much about location as no doubt the planners will visit me eventually, but the longer I can hold them off the better...IYKWIM

Within easy driving distance of lanark market ;) is all I'll say! :)

So HappyHippy I don't expect it will be much easier for me either. Why do they make it so difficult to carry out agricultural practices on agricultural land???

ellied - We've been looking for land for well over a year, and the piece we've bought isn't perfect, but it's ours and it's a start. I hope you find something that suits you too.
Lynn :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 07:01:27 pm »
Hope you have more success with the planners in Lanark than my friend - they have told her she has enough points for .7 of a person to live on her farm.  She lives 5 miles away and a couple of years ago found one of her pigs in a distressed state having been butchered alive (culprit was scared off and vet drove like stink to put it out of its misery)- but they didn't think that was enough for her to be needed to live with her animals!  Little tin gods all of them!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS