Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What the hell have we done?????  (Read 1412 times)

Blair512

• Joined Sep 2019
What the hell have we done?????
« on: September 26, 2019, 05:51:51 pm »
Hello all!

New here, I've come looking for answers as we've just bought a house that comes with a 3 acre paddock. Hoping to get some veggies in and maybe some chickens  to start with but it's a daunting project taking on so much land!

Hopefully you guys can help out as I fire a whole bunch of noob smallholding questions at you!

Thnaks in advance

Blair

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: What the hell have we done?????
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:06:12 am »
Hello and welcome from :sunshine: Carnoustie (for the moment anyway)  :wave: :wave:
If you get the bug, in a few years you'll be looking for more land. Been there, done it  ;D

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:15:46 am »
Welcome to the forum - sounds so similar.
Started with just over three acres, chickens & veg.......then turkeys......then pigs........then geese........all just because it tasted sooooooooo good.
Still have a few geese but have bought more land & now have a pedigree flock (albeit a small flock) of Hampshire Downs - oh and lots of bees.
Almost out of pork so pigs to return in spring & as soon as fox proof hen housing is sorted chickens will be back.
Enjoy the forum & your new venture. Search out any local smallholder groups, these can be an excellent source of info.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 10:23:16 am »
Hi Blair512 and welcome. We have a little less land which was a total mess but is improving gradually, after a lot of hard work and still needs a lot more before livestock. Biggest problem at the moment is keeping the grass down, because once it gets too long our mower can't cope and it's a lot to strim or scythe. So I guess control of that needs to be a top priority, before it overtakes you.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 03:07:16 pm »
Hello and Welcome Blair
You will soon find 3 acres is not very much land at all  :) .

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:00:20 pm »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  You'll work something out in time - it'll come  :)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 09:04:47 am »
I would agree with Chris Mahon - think about how you are going to control the grass. It gets really depressing when it grows away from you in the spring and you know you will have a big job to get it back to the lovely green sward that you have at the moment. Is there anyone locally who would like to graze sheep or ponies for a season? That will give you time to think about how you are going to use it.

I would recommend reading Rosemary's diaries on this website. Right from the beginning. It gives so much useful information about setting up a smallholding. I couldn't have done without it. :)

Blair512

• Joined Sep 2019
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 12:48:49 pm »
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I'll have a think over how to control the grass, perhaps a compact tractor with a mower attachment? I guess a ride on mower will be a little to small for 3 acres?

usefullitlethings@protonm

• Joined Mar 2019
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 08:22:18 pm »
Hi Blair512 and welcome. We have a little less land which was a total mess but is improving gradually, after a lot of hard work and still needs a lot more before livestock. Biggest problem at the moment is keeping the grass down, because once it gets too long our mower can't cope and it's a lot to strim or scythe. So I guess control of that needs to be a top priority, before it overtakes you.
a Sheep is a great mower

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS