Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone putting their ram in yet?  (Read 3479 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Re: Is anyone putting their ram in yet?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2019, 08:42:07 am »
So is everyone going for orange?! My OH wants to take the harness off as he’s worried it’s uncomfortable for him if he lies down. It’s not too tight though and we’ve checked it’s not rubbing. The only thing is that he’s getting an orange chest now with the wet weather!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2019, 10:25:42 am »

I’m waiting for orange butts too PipKelpy - did your wether have a funny walk after acquiring his?!!

No he didn't! Did laugh at the little bugger though as the tup was here last year (asked if I could have him back again if possible as I knew he got on with the cattle.) Did actually tell the breeder though when I returned him that unless he was sending him off (for the chop or selling) I would have him back again next year. I stood watching him as Knickers was rubbing her head on his one side, Jennifer and Mary came to headbut him on the other side (he still stood willingly) then Duster (Junipers lad) decided to get in on the act and pounce on him. Stupid sod just stood there! So I shot through the gate and clapped my hands and got looks off all as if to say What??

Breeder actually said could he have escaped? I said yes, plenty of room, wasn't cornered or anything. He reply then was don't worry!! Nice owner!!

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 10:32:47 am »
So is everyone going for orange?!

I usually start with yellow, then orange, green, red, blue, black. That was back in the old days!! Swore by the harness. Nettex one with the all-weather chalks.

But last year, flys got under the straps on his back and maggots appeared under the harness. Never a good thing to start with and especially when its not my tup, so off to the shops and back with blue powder. This year, saw the powder on offer so for my massive flock (5) bought some more tubs. Started with yellow, then got to the orange. But the heat in July meant that the girl who got seen to first had bright butt, but the others then went paler due to melting (the wax). But never mind, rubber glove (me) handful of goo, bucket shoved under his nose and he's recoloured!

Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2019, 11:54:28 am »
On black sheep I have had no luck with yellow or orange so I started with green and followed that with blue.

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2019, 09:08:38 pm »
On black sheep I have had no luck with yellow or orange so I started with green and followed that with blue.

I would’ve thought yellow in particular would’ve been good on black sheep! And you’d never see green or blue. Guess you don’t know till you try it out.

Still no action yet. How long can it take for ewes to start cycling? He’s been showing interest - smelling their pee, doing the lip thing, sniffing butts, and doing little nibbles and licks on their sides. So he’s hopefully not one of the (allegedly 10%) gay rams!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS