Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is anyone putting their ram in yet?  (Read 3493 times)

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
Is anyone putting their ram in yet?
« on: September 22, 2019, 09:35:04 pm »
We’re getting a ram on loan mid Oct for our Badgers. We have our own tup for our Hill Radnors and are planning on putting him in tomorrow. Because a) we want the two separate flocks to lamb at different times and b) our ram is lonely and we want to get him in so he has company.
Appreciate this will equal a mid-February lambing. Also that it may mean more expenditure on feed?? It’s only for eight ewes, so not a terribly big deal, right?!!

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Is anyone putting their ram in yet?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 09:43:29 pm »
Mine is going in tomorrow or the day after  :excited:  I have to lamb a bit earlier due to work commitments from end of March onwards.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 07:05:00 am »
You may have a very extended lambing season then as your ewes may not be cycling yet... and you would probably need space undercover not just for the actual lambing but maybe for ewes and lambs as well, as mid February can mean loads of snow and unpredictable weather...
If you are only talking 8 ewes, have you thought of sponging them, lets say in two batches a couple of days apart for removal of sponges and then supervise the mating?

And for next year, why not keep a couple of wether labs to keep the tup company?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 07:38:14 am »
A different breed but my rams came OUT 8 days ago. No sponging or any un natural hormones just a teaser ram in for two weeks beforehand.  However I do know that I have to cater for indoor lambing and housing until the weather/grass allow the lambs to live out.  This year was great as the fresh lambed sheep were able to graze from day one but last year it was March before the grass was suitable.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 07:51:23 am »
Our ram came out last week - because we don’t lamb until April.   :D.  The flock has a lot of Shetland and other primitive blood, they’ve never cycled before October before.   

We’ve decided to try an even later lambing this year.  Tups out Nov 21st instead of bonfire night.  We’ve had bad weather and poor grass for the earliest mums too many times.

I’m planning on running the lads’ group next to the ewes from the beginning of November, which should get the girls all cycling and ready.  I can even log likely tupping dates from who is hanging about the fence on different days ;).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 08:13:58 am »
My Lleyn and Texel Rams went in 1st september but have only started working in the last week. Bit slow to start this year because of the weather I think.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 10:29:05 am »
It's not about when YOU want to put the ram in it's about when the ewes are cycling and will take the ram and when the ram is ready, your 2 breeds were bred for high ground so later cycling , when did they lamb last year ?  What may happen is that the ram goes out today and serves the odd ewe until 10 - 14 days in then the rest will cycle , same with the Badgers unless they can be in the  next field to the working ram which will stimulate them to cycle . If  your ram has been in the next field to all your ewes have you seen signs of stimulation eg ewes coming to the  fence and the ram excited

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 01:13:23 pm »
We put our tups in on the 10th August aiming for January lambs (two flocks - Zwartbles and Berrichons). Unfortunately my older tup was firing blanks so I shipped him on and replaced him with a ram lamb I'd held back this year so whilst my husband's Berrichons will be lambing in January as planned (and hopefully producing lambs big enough to go to Three Counties Show) my Zwartbles will now be lambing middle of February onwards including one who will be having cross-bred lambs that I'd rather have kept pure but didn't want to run her with her son. Rather annoying but there's sheep for you ::)

Nelson International

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 10:11:43 pm »
We're in an area of mostly welsh hill sheep, and based on the neighbours' slightly lax attitude to stock separation, I'd say that the ewes have started cycling fairly recently.  ;D

Because of my work, we have to put the rams in pretty late (to lamb around the easter break, usually), but given that it was snowing in 2018 as I was bringing them in to the delivery suite, I'm pretty happy with that. Our lambs look a bit small in comparison with those I see in the shows in the summer, but since we're not really trying for a commercial operation, it's not the end of the world.

Maysie

• Joined Jan 2018
  • Herefordshire/Shropshire Border
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 01:00:07 pm »
Any hot-tips on how to keep the ram in the adjacent field without him jumping the fence for the 2-3 week 'teaser' period? 

The fences are standard post and (2) rail horse paddocks with stock fence below, but we have had the neighbours Texel Rams jump the fence like it wasn't even there. 

Our ram is more dopey to be fair (Hill Radnor), but I would really like to keep them apart until WE decide to put him in with the ladies. 

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 03:37:43 pm »
We also put our rams in mid-October, giving a mid-March lambing, not mid-February, surely?  :thinking:

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 03:54:09 pm »
I had the tup here in July for my possible lambers of 5 for earlier lambing due to wanting the shed for Knickers (maiden Heifer) end of December! Pet weather jumped the electric and followed me whilst I was checking the cut hay grass so I shoved him in with them. Next day he had an orange butt!! The only ewe the tup didn't get was a Dorset Down ewe crossed off a Bleu du Maine x Shetland, which was surprising! He got her daughter who is Lleyn sired! He also got her half sister (mums side) and a pair of Dorset Down x Shetland twins that have lambed before! Depending on the amount born, we'll eat them as next year it's stock the freezer time (beef, Lamb & pork). This year it's been eat the freezers empty!!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 04:29:50 pm »
putting our ram in november this year lambing in April due to family commiments

it was around 7th October last year for march lambing

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

tommytink

• Joined Aug 2018
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2019, 09:42:12 pm »
Yep, I’ve read up about cycling and that hill breeds can be later. Also heard of sponging but don’t feel confident/knowledgeable enough to attempt that. We initially had him in a small paddock and moved the girls out of sight as again, read that sound/sight could start cycling.  Maybe we should’ve left them all in view instead! I guess now he is both the teaser and the tup!
He went in Monday. He was curious but they all ran away from him! Today they are grazing together and the ewes are standing and letting him sniff. No action yet though. Got a raddle on him so I get a clue when something might be happening. This is first time for all of them. I also think the weather is playing a part - been absolutely heaving it down and all sheep look worn out!
Just glad he’s not on his own any more. Think he came from having company so was tough being by himself. I’d like to keep him with the ladies as much as possible but at least next year fingers crossed he’ll have some ram lambs to keep him company and maybe we’ll let him keep one  :D
We’re not commercial minded as yet, our first year is all trial and hopefully no error. We have recently refitted our lambing shed. Riddled with woodworm and rot we took it back to the concrete block base and rebuilt it. We’re calling it the Radnor Hotel! Plenty of space for eight ladies and babies. The bloody Badgers will be fending for themselves and lambing outdoors!!
Badgers will be moving to a field nearby for flushing but not bordering the Radnors. Don’t want to risk the tups interacting.
I’m waiting for orange butts too PipKelpy - did your wether have a funny walk after acquiring his?!!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:35:16 am by tommytink »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2019, 09:53:17 pm »
I always try to keep a field in between my tups whilst they are out with their respective ladies.

And as for the weather... I put my tups out on Monday and we had torrential rain all Monday night. Tuesday morning 2 orange bums. If the girls are cycling the rams will serve them whatever the weather!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS