Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Freezing green peppers?  (Read 7117 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Freezing green peppers?
« on: October 25, 2019, 09:31:47 am »
Took out most of my pepper plants in the Keder yesterday in anticipation of frosty night (and yes the chicken water containers are frozen this morning ...), so what do I do with the bucket of green peppers that I harvested?

Has anyone frozen them with the aim to then just throw them into various dished during the winter? Do they go all mushy when cooked from frozen?
Or does anyone have an idiot proof recipe for picking green (sweet) peppers? I am not a fan of pickled veg in general, so this would only be a small sample exercise and see if we liked it. I don't want to ferment them.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
Re: Freezing green peppers?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 09:54:49 am »
Fantastic book called "Let's Preserve It" by Beryl Wood has recipes in for green pepper chutney  amongst other things

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:21:23 am »
Ok, library has got it... but it's on the "West Area Mobile", which means it will take months to be available... is it worth buying? Abebooks has it for 8.34pounds incl delivery...

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 01:54:19 pm »
Have never tried, but can be frozen, I believe, but best then used in cooking as they will go soggy when thawed.  It's best (if you can) to freeze the diced/cut peppers 'loose' on a tray first, otherwise they can stick together.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-freeze-sweet-peppers-1327676

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 04:39:49 pm »
Thanks, I will try that with some of them, hopefully not too mushy once cooked...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 05:00:35 pm »
I must admit I find chopped frozen peppers remarkably uninspiring.  A bucketful - hmm!   Google 'green sweet pepper chutney recipes' and quite a few come up, especially if you have some chilles and apples to add.  Saves buying the book.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 06:41:47 pm »
Anke yes it's worth the money. Loads of recipes for everything you could think of

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 10:35:13 pm »
Anke yes it's worth the money. Loads of recipes for everything you could think of

I just got it from ebay for 5.80, free post.  Thanks David and Collette.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2019, 01:18:53 pm »
I find that gently frying them until just soft stops them going mushy in the freezer. Then freeze them in small quantities to be used in risottos, spag bol. etc.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2019, 08:32:48 pm »
I find that gently frying them until just soft stops them going mushy in the freezer. Then freeze them in small quantities to be used in risottos, spag bol. etc.
That's what I have been doing in the end - just not got the time and energy for preserving right now... I am however going to order the above preserving book (I am just doing my Xmas book list...), so better prepared for next year.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 11:10:07 am »
I have never had any issues freezing peppers. We do a lot of wok cooking and just chuck them in the pan.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS