Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Japanese bantam  (Read 1331 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Japanese bantam
« on: September 17, 2019, 08:13:27 pm »
Does anyone keep Japanese bantams?
Saw them in Melton Rare Breed sale last Saturday and fell in love!
Beautiful little birds!
Anyone has any experience with them?
I heard they carry a gene that prevents 1/4 of them hatching properly
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Japanese bantam
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 08:04:45 am »
These are called 'Chabo' in Japan and come in a large range of colours. They do carry a lethal gene which prevents 25% from hatching but apparently they come in two distinct leg lengths- if you breed long with short there isn't a problem, but long with long or short with short and there is. Plenty of info on the www.poultrykeeper.com site. There is also a well established breed club which may have more info.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 09:26:02 pm »
Sounds a bit like our 'bobtail' gene in Brittanys.  Breed long tail to short tail fine, breed short tail to short tail and 25% don't implant - the double bobtail gene.  However, it is wrongly termed lethal since they are never alive.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 10:59:50 pm »
Sounds exactly like Dexter cows actually!
Beautiful birds.
I've spoken to the breed society and am going to pick up a trio in next week  :fc:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS