Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens and rat poison  (Read 1830 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Hens and rat poison
« on: September 12, 2019, 10:34:00 pm »
Hi, worried about my 2  hens.
About 5-6 days ago, I left the polytunnel door open, in there was a dustbin, in the bottom of the dustbin was an old tub of Neosorexa Gold,  hens must have jumped on dustbin, knocking it over, lid came off, and the lid of the poison.
I am presuming they have eaten some, OH says they eat in the mornings, but I know they arent eating as much as normal, there is food (wheat) left in the evenings, and they don't come to eat anything I put in then. No feed left in overnight.
Any thoughts please? If they were going to die would they have gone by now, or is it slow acting?
Lid now tied on obviously, and try and keep door shut..
I haven't used the poison for years, but about 7-8 yr ago was overrun by rats from a nearby barn, where tenant only fed his pigs once a day, and we had no cat here. Had rats sat on the doorstep, awful time.

[size=1.875rem][/size]

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Hens and rat poison
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:41:56 pm »
I thought it was cumulative, so the rats need to eat a lot of it over many days. You will see if it has affected the chickens by their poo I think. Nothing you can do now of course except wait obviously. If they are laying eggs at the moment I'd not be happy eating them for a week or so. They do eat a lot of stuff that affects them badly- in our case it's lizards, grasshoppers and praying mantises, all of which have a dramatic effect on their digestion for a few days. In fact the one that I witnessed eating a large lizard (4" long swallowed whole) had a heart attack two weeks afterwards, which may have been a co-incidence, but I think the toxins in the lizard, which initially wrecked her digestive flora, had a part to play.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 01:30:00 pm »
I wonder if the poison will have been somewhat denatured by being stored in a polytunnel?  You just might get away with it.  I would suggest you try nursing the hens through their illness as well as you can and you may be lucky and they come out OK.  I would suggest you chuck out the poison and buy new if you need to in the future.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 02:25:54 pm »
Isn't the antidote a big dose of vitamin k? I would speak to your vets if they are pet hens and you wanted to go down that route?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 04:33:03 pm »
Thanks all, hens currently not laying, (unless hiding them somewhere) about 7 years old.
I did think I'd heard about vit. K, but thinking it may be a bit late now.
Hens not normally in polytunnel, wondering what one does with old rat poison? It doesn't look how a remember it, grey powder/crumbs? I hate rat poison, only used it then in desperation.  No problems since pigman was booted off.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 09:39:02 pm »
I had not heard of the product you used, but having looked it up I now know that it contains coumarin, a blood thinner from which warfarin is derived. Vit K is the antidote for warfarin, as it reduces the INR to normal in about 6 hours.  I don't know if Vit K also works as an antidote for Neosorexa gold.  Vit K will stop the heavy bleeding after 6 hours, but most things would be dead by then.  Long term effects seem to be liver damage, so your hens may have developed that.

It is intended for professional use only and must be kept locked up and not used by untrained people! (or left lying around in a polytunnel  ::)As a hazardous substance you will have to find out where you can safely dispose of it.  Your council may be able to put you in touch with a company which deals with hazardous waste, or you may be able to google it for your area.  Local tips don't usually take hazardous substances except batteries.

Interesting fact for the day:
Coumarin is a flavouring substance which is contained in relatively high concentrations in cinnamon varieties collectively known as "Cassia cinnamon". In especially sensitive persons, even comparatively small quantities of coumarin can cause liver damage, although the effect is usually reversible.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:40:58 pm by Fleecewife »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 10:13:54 pm »
FW, we bought that long before current regulations came in, it was used in a safe way, following guidelines, but i hated using it, and TBH, I had forgotten it was there, it was normally safe, I think bin had been moved slightly, off level, it's secure for now, I'll be getting advice on Monday.

On a more positive note, after worrying about the hens, one was up for her supper tonight.  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 01:39:30 pm »
FW, we bought that long before current regulations came in, it was used in a safe way, following guidelines, but i hated using it, and TBH, I had forgotten it was there, it was normally safe, I think bin had been moved slightly, off level, it's secure for now, I'll be getting advice on Monday.

On a more positive note, after worrying about the hens, one was up for her supper tonight.  :)

yes I realised that you had bought this some time ago.  I was thinking more that for disposal you might need to explain why you had it.
That's good that your hens seem to be recovering  :fc: :hughen:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS