« on: September 10, 2019, 08:59:07 pm »
we got 4 sheep at week end not got tags in
when do we need to tag them
thanks john

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: tags
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 09:08:58 pm »
If you mean you bought them at the weekend; then they should have been tagged before loading into the trailer and tag numbers noted on the movement form, so in effect they shouldn’t have been moved without tags.

If this is the case, I would order double RED replacement tags for them with your flock number on, ASAP. Red tags show they were not born on your holding.

Note this advice is for England only- I think the rules on tagging in Scotland are different.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 09:22:55 pm »
...... or you could approach the person you bought them from and ask for some tags and a loan of their applicator. If they get arsey, point out that as Twizzel says, they shouldn't have sold them to you without tags in the first place  >:( .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 09:47:13 pm »
On the subject of tags a tup I brought sunday has stuck his head through the sheep netting and pulled both of his ear tags out  ???

We're not his breeder etc so do I need to order replacement tags for the flock no. he was from or can they just be replaced with our tags ?

Thanks in advance

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 09:53:47 pm »
On the subject of tags a tup I brought sunday has stuck his head through the sheep netting and pulled both of his ear tags out  ???

We're not his breeder etc so do I need to order replacement tags for the flock no. he was from or can they just be replaced with our tags ?

Thanks in advance

Yes if you know his original tag numbers you can get replica tags. Alternatively you can replace with double red tags with your flock number on and record in flock book his old tag numbers and new replacement tag numbers. But you can’t just use normal breeding pair of tags with your flock number on I.e yellow eid and a visual tag as these are for sheep born on your holding.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 06:47:03 am »
However, it does highlight how unfit for purpose ear tags are in terms of permanent identification of an animal!

Yes indeed. We had quite a valuable pedigree ewe who lost both tags in quick succession, so I ordered up a pair of replicas for her. These arrived with no questions asked.

However, I'm totally sure that nobody has ever used this technique to "clone" a valuable tup - say sell his lookalike and keep him on the quiet, that sort of thing. No, I'm sure that could never happen.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 07:57:45 am »
If the lambs are untagged how did you manage to do a movement licence for them? Individual numbers are required fpor movement licences unless they have a slaughter tag in? If you left it blank Animal Health will probably be in touch!

I'd contact the breeder asap and see if they will send you tags and if no joy I'd tag them with Red replacement tags

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 07:17:24 pm »
thanks all
we contacted the seller he is sending us the tags
we filled move on line with his herd no
thank again john

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 09:59:08 pm »
You will need to find out what brand of tag applicator to buy to fit the tags. The seller was a bit naughty (illegal) here and should not have sold the sheep untagged.

If the sheep are going to be kept over 12 months of age (or are over 12 months now) they will need double tags from the seller. If s/he only sends a single slaughter tag for each sheep they will need retagging with double RED tags with your flock number on if you intend to keep them over 12 months of age or they are older than that already.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS