Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ramps to houses  (Read 1410 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
ramps to houses
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:43:58 am »
Hope someone has some advice and perhaps photos.  Looking for ideas for a ramp for my new house to avoid having to climb a load of steps to the front door.

At the back there are only 4 steps so I'm intending decking a part of the rear garden with a ramp to both sides and chicken wire over it to avoid accidents

But there are a lot more at the front and i want to future proof my house for my old age.
Attached photo shows most of them but there are another 4 steps up to the long path.  Plenty ground to work with though

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: ramps to houses
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 12:35:03 pm »
Trouble with slopes is the get slippy in winter  :( .
I would leave the steps, swing your slope right over and round to the right, coming along the front of your window, everyone else will use the steps, so privacy shouldn't be an issue.
That's what my parents neighbours did when he needed a wheelchair.
Which way does this face Doganjo? North, South etc?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 01:23:50 pm »
I had a flight of stone steps up to my first floor flat, which we dug out when we were extending the ground floor of the property.

They built me a wooden ramp with handrails and a “platform” deck, also with handrails, as a temporary measure, but I love it so much I am keeping it and have applied stock fencing along the sides of the ramp and around the deck for safety.  (Some would prefer wooden slats, I prefer stock fence :) )

It absolutely does get slippy when wet, as does all decking.  So it needs cleaning every year (as does all decking), plus I use road salt in icy conditions and am planning to wrap the ramp part with chicken wire or stick roofing felt onto it or something to provide better grip when wet.  (Mind it will be two years this November, and I am still living with it for now - as you do.  ::))

All of which said, phb’s suggestion sounds good too :)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 10:25:12 pm »
Depends how infirm your planning on being. Slopes are always a hazard of their own so wide low steps may be safer. Looking at that house makes me wonder if you could install a  lift at the back of the garage and put self opening doors on the outside...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 11:02:28 pm »
Going from my own experience of needing slopes to wheel up to a house, I think PHB's idea is exactly what I would go for.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 09:33:57 pm »
I have decking at the back door just now and my son put chicken wire down the middle - it's as safe as houses - in all weathers.  It's what all the big estates do over burns and rivers

I'm going to do the same at the back door but with a ramp to the garden instead of the steps that I have now.

The  driveway/car parking area is at the front so i was thinking of something to the front door, although it would be easy to extend the drive round to the back of the garage so there would only be a few yards and a very slight incline up to the back door decking.  I know ther are regulations on angles/degrees etc

I also thought like phb about taking a ramp from a platform level with the front door, alongside the steps, sloping down to the right, then a level bit, then a bit more slope etc on a zig zag down to ground level.

But I just don't know what medium to use or whether tio do anything at all - don't want it to look too utilitarian.  I want it to look attractive, to enhance my home.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 10:44:10 pm »
A few low growing shrubs would soften it and hide the lines?
Something like hebe that doesn't need much maintenance, flowers are good for bees?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:46:48 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS