Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Udder question  (Read 1352 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Udder question
« on: August 31, 2019, 12:01:57 am »
Hello :)

I have a lovely Boer doe, dolly, who kidded two days ago, gorgeous twin girls so very pleased. This morning I noticed she was very full on one side and this only got worse as the day progressed. Watching the kids I can see that they only drink from one side, so I got hold of Dolly and emptied out the tight side... wondering if that was the right thing to do? Another of my goats, Kiwi, had a single 2 weeks ago and he only drank from one side and she simply dried up on the other side... but with twins I am sure she will need both sides as their appetites grow, not to mention she is very milky and looked very uncomfortable before I stripped... No mastitis or other strangeness so that's good, she did kick at her udder for a few seconds when I finished and gave it a lick and a sniff but then settled.

I think the way it stretched out must have made it a bit sore, hoping tmrw will be better... should I continue to strip out daily if they don't latch on to that side... any tricks you can recommend to encourage them to drink from both sides? As I say she is very milky and even though they are on just one side they are growing like weeds! But surely they will want a side each later on.... Anyway, I shall stop rambling on. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Thank you :D

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Udder question
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 12:42:47 pm »
That's exactly what I would do.  Try to get one of them to suck that side a few times, they usually soon realise it's better to have one to themselves and not fight for a share.  If the teat gets too big they have trouble latching on so milk it out if necessary.  They usually sort themselves out after a few days.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 02:26:39 pm »
Thank you! Never has this issue before so its good to know im in the right track!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 05:46:30 pm »
If she is amenable I would pen her up with the kids in a pen next to her, leave for a few hours and then put them together, making sure that they latch onto both sides, as in both drink simultaneously. You may have to repeat that for a few times, but only works if they are inside and she is easily handled.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 02:13:27 pm »
Thank you for your replies, Dolly is almost back to normal now! I am no longer milking her and the kids are nursing from both sides. Ended up milking daily and gave her a mild anti inflammatory as directed by a cow vet lol but it all did the trick in the end!  :excited:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 04:13:02 pm »
An old farmer once told me in this situation to put a large piece of sticky plaster over the used teat so they have to use the other - whether it works I don't know but I can see the theory  :D I also know these days sticky plaster stays on for around 30 seconds!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS