Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turning fleece into wool  (Read 2035 times)

Tishtosh

• Joined Apr 2019
Turning fleece into wool
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:01:29 am »
We would love to turn our Dorset ewes fleece into wool, my daughter has looked into it and found one place that would do the whole job washing, carding, spinning etc but it was quite pricey. Has anyone sent their fleeces away?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Turning fleece into wool
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 07:19:08 am »
We send ours to The Natural Fibre Company. Yes, it is expensive and marketing the resultant yarn takes a fair bit of time and effort for a fairly modest profit.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:06:59 am »
Neither you nor your daughter fancy having a go yourselves?  :spin:

There are people on Facebook might be prepared to do one fleece for you - I’ve seen it offered when others have asked. 

Are they Dorset Horn or Dorset Down? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 08:10:01 am »
I have sent fleeces to Halifax Spinning Mill who are now based near Bridlington.  Mine have been washed and carded but I have spun them.  It was not cheap.  Paul will also spin the fleeces for you.

Lamby5

• Joined Aug 2019
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:50:38 pm »
I haven't sent mine away but I've washed, carded and spun it myself. It takes a while but it's worth it in the end.  Just for one personal project though.

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 06:53:31 pm »
We would love to turn our Dorset ewes fleece into wool, my daughter has looked into it and found one place that would do the whole job washing, carding, spinning etc but it was quite pricey. Has anyone sent their fleeces away?
How pricey?

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 06:14:50 am »
I'vr had shetland fleeces spun at Curlew Weavers near Llandysul, West Wales.I think he's just put his price up a bit to £41.80 per kg finished yarn, 25kg minimum starting batch.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS