Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I thought it was going to be a success story  (Read 1381 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
I thought it was going to be a success story
« on: August 14, 2019, 08:19:18 pm »
I have managed to hatch some broad breasted commercial turkey eggs in an incubator. One was much smaller than the others and a couple of days later I found one on its back looking in bad shape but I managed to get it under heat and it bounced back although still very unstable on its feet.

Originally, I thought it had flip over syndrome and had recovered but today about 3 weeks later I found it on its side looking terrible but under the heating plate. I kept it warm and tried to give it water and chick crumb but it couldn’t hold it’s head up and unfortunately died about 10 mins after I found it.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? The other 6 all seem fine. I think it had some sort of defect but i don't know.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: I thought it was going to be a success story
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 07:05:43 pm »
Haven’t experienced that before, my first thought was that maybe they were accidentally on medicated chick crumb but given the 3 week interval that’s probably not it. There can be so many things wrong with a living body and medical knowledge about birds is limited compared to other animals.

Hope the others are all doing well. :fc:

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: I thought it was going to be a success story
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 08:07:50 pm »
They all are on unmedicated turkey crumb and thanks the others all seem fine so far. I'm keeping a close eye on them

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS