Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Treatment programmes (and differences for shedding sheep)  (Read 1754 times)

Sprig

• Joined Nov 2018
Treatment programmes (and differences for shedding sheep)
« on: August 13, 2019, 01:49:44 pm »
Hi,
I am interested in what treatment programmes you all follow and why. For those of you with shedding sheep is there anything that you do differently?
Thanks

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Treatment programmes (and differences for shedding sheep)
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 03:43:28 pm »
Aside from the saving on fly treatments (though my Charmoise ewes have had none this year) the conditions locally will affect your regime more than the breed

Sprig

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:42:07 am »
Thanks Me.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:06:15 pm »
I agree local and prevailing conditions are probably the most important factor but I would not be complacent regarding self-shedding breeds. I’ve had two instances of flystrike in my small flock of Wiltshire Horns in the past. From experience I would be watchful in particular of those that do not cleanly drop their fleece; new year lambs towards the end of the summer who will not have shed, especially if there is a warm humid spell; and around the base of the horns of mature rams with well developed horns.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:09:56 pm by PK »

Sprig

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 12:27:12 pm »
We too have Wiltshire Horns. They come to the bucket so I am looking at them closely every day. I appreciate your tips. Thanks

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 05:33:03 pm »
Fair enough, should have emphasised saving on fly treatments as opposed to definitely not using any

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 09:28:27 pm »
Interesting. We use Clik on our Wiltshire Horns along with other non-shedding sheep. Having experienced fly strike in Lleyns , I don't want to risk it in any of our sheep.

Is there anyone with shedding sheep who successfully rears them without fly strike prevention?

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 08:39:19 am »
I keep between 600 & 1000 shedding ewes (depending on land availability) and very rarely treat adult sheep with a fly strike preventative
Sometimes if i am going away for a couple of weeks i will treat lambs if they haven't shed well

I graze land on top of Salisbury Plain ---- low risk due to wind/low humidity as well as places like Stourhead , Wilts which has many lakes and is surrounded by woodland---hi risk and hi humidity

When we kept Wiltshire Horns we would sometimes experience head fly problems and would have to treat with a dab of something on the head

It's about risk assessment , management and genetics  ---any sheep that ever gets strike gets culled in my Charollais flock and i am convinced that this reduces risk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS