Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sausages  (Read 4989 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Sausages
« on: October 16, 2010, 09:01:26 am »
Mmmmm - yum yum.

We've got a freezer full of meat from our two Tamworths.

Here are the results.

The baked sausages with mashed potato and carmelised onions dish all came from within 50 yards of the kitchen.

Talk about provenance!!!

Very VERY satisfying.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

HappyHippy

Re: Sausages
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 09:45:01 am »
I know what you mean about the satisfaction  ;)
We've had the pleasure of totally home produced meals this year too and it beats the competition hands down  ;D ;D ;D

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:49 am »
I agree - sitting at your table with a plate of entirely home produced food - and cider - and all the trimmings such as sage and apple jelly ..... is an absolutely wonderful experience - the culmination of a lot of hard , honest work. Knowing that the animals had a good life  and were able to express their natural behaviour right up to the last day is a privilage when so many people just can't afford to buy good quality meat with high welfare standards.
We don't thank God - but we sure as hell thank the animals ........ every time.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 10:40:53 am »
Oooh - have you got a recipe for the sage and apple jelly??

We have alot of apples left over from the cider making an I've got alot of sage growing in pots around the place.

Susanna

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:45:56 pm »
Just signed the site tonight - love it!

How do you make your sausages and where do you get your sausage skins from please?

Thanks
ZB

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 11:49:49 am »
Wow they look wonderful.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:20:10 pm »
Got the butcher to do them all I'm afraid.

I was planning to do them myself but in the end we have been a bit rushed this year...... bitten off a bit more than we can chew what with sheep, pigs, vegetables, work, marathon training, coppicing, in-laws, dog, ironing........

:-)))))

Made some sage and apple jelly today - looks really good.

Skins at: http://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/home

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 08:26:31 pm »
I'd love a recipe for Sage and Apple Jelly.  Anyone got one they would like to share please?
 :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35:30 am »

How do you make your sausages and where do you get your sausage skins from please?

Take a look online and you should be able to find quite a few sausage skin suppliers who will supply mail order. They will need thoroughly rinsing out (inside and out) before use.

You will need a machine to mince the meat and a machine (or attachment) to stuff the skins.

I've tried various sausage recipes, and I think the thing is not to mince the sausagement down too fine, and if adding other ingredients, e.g. stilton etc, then don't add too much or it will overpower the flavour.

With regard to adding breadcrumbs, oats etc, I've tried quite a few of those options but have never really found a mix that works well (anyone out there got a good recipe?) so these days tend not to bother adding any.

Let us know how you get on.

:wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 10:28:39 am »
10% bread crumbs well dampened.  If you havent got a sausage stuffing attachment a large funnel and a wooden spoon handle works (takes a lot of patience).  Agree a courser mince is better than a fine one, they tend to have the texture of meat paste if ground too small.

When you have time try making your own its satisfying.

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 11:53:16 am »
Thanks very much all of you for your helpful replies - much appreciated !  :)  :) 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 08:36:54 pm »
Mmmmmm - had pork chops (big!!!) with duchesse potatoes and peas tonight with lovely sage and apple jelly made from this thread.

DELICIOUS!!!

It wasn't just the better stronger flavour of the meat but its consistency aswell.

Yummy!!!

I would strongly recommend the sage and apple jelly. Make some today :-)))

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS