Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plums  (Read 1466 times)

Orinlooper

• Joined Aug 2015
Plums
« on: August 08, 2019, 05:56:31 pm »
Just found an amazing wild plum tree. Some of the best plums I have ever had.

How long will it take to grow some trees from these stones?

I also want some fast growing grafted plum trees, I wonder which are the fastest?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
Re: Plums
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 08:27:03 am »
You can't be sure the stones will grow true. I'd guess 10years to fruiting wellGrafted varieties... will depend on rootstock if you research that

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Plums
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:23:47 pm »
As per pgk's advice, you don't want to be growing on from "seed" which will take too long and will not reproduce an identicle tree.  Just take a load of healthy cuttings from the wild tree, preferrably the thickest of this year's growth, and stick 'em in the ground or a pot.  The more the merrier in case it's not a ready rooter !!  Do not try and propagate anything that has obvious defects/disease.  (You can try propagate older, say 2 yr wood, but might be more reluctant to root.)

I've not done plum propagation yet, but I would suggest planting 8" cuttings leaving a couple of buds above ground.  A bit of shade would be a good thing whether in open ground or in a pot:  if in a pot, I wouldn't use too rich a planting medium.  No harm in applying a rooting compound to the cuttings if you have any.

Don't worry about grafting onto a "known" rootstock yet:  just let the cuttings take root and grow on their own roots for a while.  If the wild tree is not too unruly or obviouly prone to disease, it might be good to just leave any new tree/s you grow-on on its/their own roots. 
That said,  if you feel need to graft your new stock onto something else (bought-in root-stock or an existing tree), I seem to recall that bud grafting is preferred method for plum and that would mean grafting summer/late summer months - so pretty much about now!  Plenty of guides ont' web.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:03:54 am by arobwk »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS