Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Worm control in a small yard  (Read 1413 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Worm control in a small yard
« on: August 07, 2019, 02:07:36 pm »
I have been thinking a lot since the death of Maggie, our Boer girl, about general health and best practice.  I have the girls in at the moment as its winter here (south america) but they go out when its sunny in an excercise paddock about 3/4 or an acre... Reading about worm resistance and build up got me thinking.... My goat area is not large enough for rotation so would I be best of either getting rid of all grass grown in this area and avoid worm build up this way or just make a smaller yard with a hard floor?? I provide all their food anyway, its not like they are on a grazing system... maybe by letting them nibble on the grass in their excercise area its actually just going to build up a worm problem?

Thoughts? I read that if it there was no grass (much like one sees at a zoo or city farm) then the worm issue would be largey resolved. Thought I would see what you all think, so much knowledge on this site! Thanks in advance :)

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Worm control in a small yard
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 06:53:43 am »
I think people tend to be over concerned about worms. Its quite normal and healthy for adult animals to carry some worms. They only become a problem when the amimal is stressed by something else, pregnancy, or illness.

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Re: Worm control in a small yard
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 06:20:54 pm »
That bioworma looks super intersting!! Thanks for sharing!!

They are actually fine with their fecals but so many people are telling me that goats are delicate with worms and because i am not rotating them onto new paddocks they will surely get resistant worms and then I will have a real problem on my hands etc etc So I began to worry, but as far as I can tell they are fine and because i bring them all their food they will hopefully be ok in the future too! I will keep testing periodically and take it from there!

Thanks guys!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS