Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cooling Coats for dogs (inc. My epileptic idiot!)  (Read 1665 times)

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
  • Dreamer with Mary, (cow) and sheep.
Cooling Coats for dogs (inc. My epileptic idiot!)
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:19:43 pm »
As the header suggests. Last year we bought her keepkool blankets but due to lots of wriggling, found that bungy cords don't keep them on as much as we hoped. So, back to the company, and bought her a kool coat! She does look snazzy!

However, when fits, brain heats up etc and that's when damage to other organs can happen. The bad do she had last month, coat on and all blankets over her and even the vet passed comment how she was drying them (She was cooking!)

So, back to the company again about a coat that she needs (not a standard design) and we're quoted nearly £100. Believe it or not, that's fine. BUT, though we have double checked our measurements we are aware that due to it being customised, returns are not allowed!

Here's my question - does anyone know of any water activated cooling coats that protect all the chest as well as the back? standard coats are a strap underneath and that's not enough for our dog. She's not little either. She's a Rottweiler X! I've googled and found so many different sites, but they are basically all the same design!
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Cooling Coats for dogs (inc. My epileptic idiot!)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:02:16 pm »
Here's a comparison of what is supposed to be the best, although I haven't investigated their criteria
https://www.pawgearlab.com/best-dog-cooling-vests/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 06:34:33 pm »
Ta! Did see the ruffwear when we first bought her a coat and discounted them due to back length. As everything, you need to experience before knowing what's right. I've got the ruffwear lightweight jetstream vest coming via Amazon (very good with returns) and we'll see how that one works out!   
Halter train the cattle to keep them quiet but watch your back when they come a'bulling! Give them all names even those you plan to eat. Always be calm. Most importantly, invest in wellies with steel toe caps and be prepared for the clever cow who knows where the toe caps end!!

PipKelpy

• Joined Mar 2019
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 03:58:19 pm »
Measurements, agh!!!!!!!!¡

I have measured this blasted dog so many times to be sure! Jet stream came, 'too tight!' Mum says! I got the zip fastened though, even told the dog to suck her guts in!! Looked incredibly groovy! So, straight onto Amazon and ordered the XL!  However, not to worry, as it fits the other idiot! So both coats a total of £86. which is cheaper than a custom made one for the epileptic dog. Whether or not it cools her is another question but seeing the make, there shouldn't be a problem and they have lifetime guarantee.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS