Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cutting Strawberry Runners  (Read 1690 times)

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Cutting Strawberry Runners
« on: July 28, 2019, 03:36:16 pm »
I planted a strawberry plant bought from our local school for fund raising and now it has runners coming off it with about 6 more 'plants' rooting. There are also probably going to be another 5 at least if i let them to continue to grow. I'm not sure how many i want as i have limited space at present.

My question is when can i cut the runners from the main plant?I presume i have to let the 'new' plants to establish a bit but how long?
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Cutting Strawberry Runners
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 05:01:01 pm »
You can just put them in  little pots with compost and let them grow roots before you cut them away. Or you can cut them off straight away and put in compost and let the main olant get stronger if you prefer
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 08:32:25 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Guess i'm going to be busy then as the main plant is throwing out runners all over. Got about 12'extra' plants now. Time to put a stop to it  now. I think that is enough plants to go with.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

Briggsy from Gower

• Joined Nov 2018
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 01:05:53 pm »
Hi, I usually only allow them 3 or 4 babies, as they do take strength away from the parent if they produce too many which will affect next years crop. Here's to plants that propagate themselves!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS