Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Public liability insurance for jam making? help!!!  (Read 12489 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Public liability insurance for jam making? help!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:44:28 pm »
Hello Plumseverwhere

How do you make the goats milk soap - sounds fab - we are thinking of getting a goat!?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 01:02:22 pm »
On a similar vein - I am running a dog training day in a field for our Club next month, which will be covered by our insurance provided I prepare Risk Assessments, and do a safety talk.  Damned nuisance but they won't cover us otherwise!  We have templates for dog shows and for shooting days but not for basic training days!  I now have to think back to the day I visited the grounds and remember what hazards there were and how we should deal with them Aaaaarrrrrggggghhh!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 04:28:18 pm »
Its ridiculous the amount of things you have to do, i mean labelling for example! i dont know about all of you but when i open a jam and the get it out of the fridge some time after, if its fizzy of furry i wont eat it if not then down the hatch it goes - so how do you put that on a label??????????? or should i put please apply common sense when eating  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 06:36:46 pm »
Hi Zackyb - I make it using the cold process method (ie the old fashioned way!) with caustic soda, goats milk olive oil...
you'll need more than one goat if you go ahead - they need goaty company  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:00 pm »
Its ridiculous the amount of things you have to do, i mean labelling for example! i dont know about all of you but when i open a jam and the get it out of the fridge some time after, if its fizzy of furry i wont eat it if not then down the hatch it goes - so how do you put that on a label??????????? or should i put please apply common sense when eating  :wave:

If it's fizzy, yes throw it away but if furry just take off the mould and the jam underneath will be fine.
Take it from me who's been eating furry jam for 60 years!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 01:14:31 am »
And me!  It's only Penicillin anyway. ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 07:14:51 am »
If you've set up your own company, you should be able to go to a wholesalers - I have a Costco card and get my sugar from there. This year we have strawberry jam, raspberry jam, pickled onions, chutney and rosehip syrup - admittedly, mostly will go as christmas presents though!  :D

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 08:32:59 am »
Went to get some sugar yesterday from Asda and thought great they have 5kg bags!! then looked at the price £4.90 something, so checked what 2KG bags were and they are £1.35. So buying in bulk was 98p per kilo or buying the smaller bags is 67.5p per kilo!!!!!!!!  ??? do they think us consumers are stupid?? just shows you that human nature must see bulk bags and assume that you get a better deal so just buy it without looking at the prices but you end up paying 50% more! i was furios.

Going to check Costco prices today and see whether they apply the same rip-off philosophy

Busy day got 1000 jars turning up all of which need filling  :wave:  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS