Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Public liability insurance for jam making? help!!!  (Read 12490 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Public liability insurance for jam making? help!!!
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:23 am »
Hi everyone,

Its been a while i know, very busy at the moment and lots going on including losing my job and thank god finding another one!!

Anyway with the abundance of hedgerow fruit this year i have registered as a jam maker with the council, but i need Public Liability insurance, so my question is what do i exactly need, where do i get it and how much does it cost??

Cheers
WP  :wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Public liability insurance for jam making? help!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:37:26 am »
had no idea you had to register! 

but presumably the council would be able to tell you seeing it's them insisting you have it?

pettle1

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:39:44 am »
Phone your house insurance company ours is included. If not they should be able to sell you some. Its not much £28 for the year i think

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 09:50:34 am »
Is that insuring against you poisoning the public with your kitchen skills or against your visitors to the premises falling and hurting themselves? 

I've never heard of it for jam making, tho I have public liability insurance for the ponies through BHS membership and professional insurance for my therapy practice with Towergate in case I am unethical and hurt people..

I thought you just needed an elementary food hygiene certificate (if that?) in case someone claimed they got food poisoning from your products..
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

pettle1

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 09:57:12 am »
Jus to add ours isnt for Jam making tho ???

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 03:14:18 pm »
As I understand it, if you are selling any food to the public, you have to register as a food business with the local authority in whose are you are based.

The Environmental Health Officers will inspect your premises to ensure that the food you are selling is safe. You will be expected to demonstrate due diligence in your processes to protect the public. Many people take the Elementary Food Hygiene course to help to demonstrate due diligence but it's not compulsory nor would it protect anyone who had the certificate but whose actual work practices were not hygienic. The frequency and detail of inspections depends on the food you are selling - we sell eggs only, so we had one inspection and we'll get a questionnaire every three years. Pickles, jams etc are not high risk in that they are cooked at very high temperatures but if you were selling say, custard tarts or cream cakes, these would be deemed high risk and would be subject to more intense scrutiny.

Trading Standards may also inspect to check labelling and weights and measures.

I would think you will need public liability insurance in case someone gets sick after eating your produce. A look through Caterer and Hotelkeeper magazine might through some light. Or try one of the smallholder insurers - or NFU Mutual, as more farmers are diversifying into food production.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 03:16:10 pm »
You will need product liability, we took ours out when we started as I intended to sell eggs and fruit and veg.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 04:57:30 pm »
I use Ian Wallace the craft insurance people for my soap making

http://www.craftinsurance.co.uk/

give them a shout, see what they can offer? they insured me same day.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 08:30:38 pm »
Sorry!No smiley for choked on my coffee and rolled about laughing!!!!!!!!
All I can think of is this ;)

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's, 80's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they   carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored   lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we   rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took  hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE   actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but   we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back   when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down   the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the  bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem'

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no   99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell

phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat   rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no   lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever. 

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,   made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang   the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't   had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They   actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers   and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as   kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:36:56 pm »
Thanks Guys much appreciated i will give them a call, someone said that my house insurance may have Public Liability insurance.

Plums are you making jams etc, if so where do you get your sugar etc etc.

I have also today set up a business name and brought a website, so will let you all know when it is up and running.

i am going to do hedgerow jellies mainly and a couple of other things from some really old cook books!! really excited and will beposting agin more often.

ttfn WP

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 08:19:27 am »
WP it sounds really good!! please do let us know when the website is up  :)

I make jams and chutneys but not to sell - however I have a friend who makes jams, chutneys etc that she sells in her shop.  Tony makes wine and we both buy our sugar from tesco in the 5KG bags. we joke about the fact I buy in shed loads of caustic soda, citric acid, sugar etc...not long before bomb squad will search our house!
My insurance is for Goat milk soap (www.itsbaaathtime.com) and i have to have PI insurance in case someone tries to sue me as I am a sole trader, not ltd company and its a bit scary how many people have jumped on the 'make a claim' bandwagon (i blame all those "were you injured..." adverts grrr!!)
A lot of xmas fairs, markets etc won't allow you a stall as a soaper if you dn't have insurance - not sure about jams worth looking into though if that was your plans.
also...get a FB page, I get so much business through mine and it allows you a brilliant medium with your customers - i ask for suggestions for new bath bomb fragrances for example and if 60% of answers are all one thing you know you could be on a winner, i also do give away competitions for 100th new member etc,

must stop waffling away, have to go and run a soap stall today - eek!

Lisa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 03:34:46 pm »
Sounds great WP.  Do let me know when you are up and running.

Hope everything is good with you and the family. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »
Hi JulieS,

Yes all is good at castle WP, although been very hectic lately, lost my job in September so a major worry on the cards but managed to get a new job that starts in a weeks time, however did lose a months money which i am grateful for only being out of work for that long!

Jam business is really comi g on leaps and bounds and Jessicas Jams will be launched very soon........

Hows all in Cornwall?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 08:25:08 pm »
Really great thanks WP.

Love the name 'Jessicas Jams'.  Look forward to tasting some when they are ready.
 :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:29:02 pm »
I thought that maybe they were afraid that someone might fall into your jam pan!
How indeed have we survived all these years!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS