Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can pigs sleep outside  (Read 3761 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
can pigs sleep outside
« on: July 21, 2019, 02:20:39 pm »
The pigs have yet again been naughty! They have trashed their sty so badly this time, basically sitting on it till it collapsed! They are weaners and very nearly ready to go to slaughter. Are they ok to sleep outside for the next few weeks, to save building a new sty helped by 3 children and 2 pigs? The have tree shade if its hot. So I am guessing a few weeks in cheshire summer should be OK? I cant bring slaughter fowards because of work.  Any thoughts?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: can pigs sleep outside
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 04:46:57 pm »
Ours quite often choose to sleep outside if the weather is good. My cattle and sheep are outside all summer. My thoughts would be that they will be just fine.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 06:52:13 pm »
They are no longer weaners but finishers. In very hot weather, yes pigs will choose to sleep out sometimes. You don't say what sort of pigs? How many weeks left before kill? Our summers are not reliable and I would say they need an ark of some sort.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 10:12:41 am »
I would say no, they need shelter - there are thunderstorms forcast for the next few days and UK weather is unpredictable at the best of times!  I think they would choose to be out of the rain if given the choice.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:46:40 am »
Aye, the might prefer to be in, but they're animals, they'll adapt. If they've got natural shelter, they'll be fine at ths time of year.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 01:02:16 pm »
Aye, the might prefer to be in, but they're animals, they'll adapt. If they've got natural shelter, they'll be fine at ths time of year.

They are animals that require shelter and have used to shelter. There are welfare requirements for keeping pigs and a code of conduct. It is a pig keepers responsibility to provide adequate shelter and maintain housing so it does not injure their pigs. Whether tree cover is adequate at all times maybe debateable but last night here it poured and night temperatures are dropping. Would I be happy that my finishing pigs used to a draught free house were out in that all night? No, I wouldn't. 

Yes, animals are adaptable and so they will probably lay down more fat to keep warm or lose weight because they are cold and needing to move around more. Why would you want to spend all that time, money and effort getting this far to let it go pear shaped?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 05:00:35 pm »
From the Welfare Codes for pigs, for outdoor pigs :

All arcs and huts used should be liberally provided with bedding and have a warm, draught- free lying area. This is especially important for the sow and litter at farrowing, during the suckling period and for newly weaned pigs.

You should properly maintain arcs and huts, especially to ensure that damage through handling or by the pigs does not produce sharp edges that may injure the animals.

Adequate shelter must be provided to protect the animals from extreme weather conditions. Arcs should be well fixed to the ground, particularly in cold windy conditions and should be sited so that the doorways can be adjusted to allow for changing weather circumstances. Wet conditions create greater welfare problems than the cold, as moisture is easily carried into the arcs on feet and bodies, causing chilling in piglets, and provides the ideal environment for micro-organisms to flourish.

The Welfare of Farmed Animals (England) Regulations 2000 (S.I. 2000 No. 1870), Schedule 1, paragraph 17 states that:

Animals not kept in buildings shall, where necessary and possible, be given protection from adverse weather conditions, predators and risks to their health and shall, at all times, have access to a well- drained lying area.

Adequate shelter must also be provided to protect the animals from the sun in summer. Wallows should be provided for breeding stock to allow them to cool themselves and to produce mud that can help prevent sunburn.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:19:02 pm »
There are some very varied cheap temporary options around if you search the internet if you only need a shelter for a few weeks so you can sleep happy on the odd wet night. For example, a tarpaulin over a corner post and tied to the adjacent post each side gives a bit of a triangular shelter and they can get under it but can't get at it as it is outside the fence. That is one 3 children could help with (a pig den).

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 01:25:57 pm »
built them a temporary shelter from a tarpauline and straw. the haven't yet eaten it or destroyed it!

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 03:27:25 pm »
Well done. Given Swaledale this week we have proof if we needed that summer in this country is never very predictable

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 05:57:08 pm »
built them a temporary shelter from a tarpauline and straw. the haven't yet eaten it or destroyed it!

Hopefully, they haven't read The Three Little Pigs and set their hearts on a brick one!  :love: :love: :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 05:21:29 pm »
Well done. Given Swaledale this week we have proof if we needed that summer in this country is never very predictable

And now Whaley Bridge in Derbyshire
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS