Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice on this please cracked hoof  (Read 3384 times)

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
Advice on this please cracked hoof
« on: July 19, 2019, 11:02:24 pm »
Appreciated any thoughts on this and best way to treat no problem calling vet,I have cleaned it and sprayed with antibiotics blue spray
But wondering what it is
Shelly hoof?
Much loved family pet,currently showing no signs off pain or lameness
Appreciate any replies

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Advice on this please cracked hoof
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 06:36:41 am »
If there was a gap between hoof wall and the spongy bit you can see before the wall came away then yes it’s shelly hoof. Not much you can do now other than keep an eye that the wall crack where the grass is stuck doesn’t progress further to a flap that might need tidying up. If the sheep isn’t lame just leave it be though. Maybe look at a mineral bucket with zinc and biotin in to help hoof health, mole valley do a good one called feet and fertility.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:07:11 am »
Yes, looks like she's had/got shelly hoof. The mud and infection packs into the cavity so tightly it fractures the hoof wall which eventually opens up.

It looks to me like the piece at the front of the hoof is also separated from the hoof. I would carefully run the blade of the trimming shears under the 'flap' piece and clear any mud or grass away and trim off all of the hoof that has separated from the foot. Spray with a foot spray and allow to dry out.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 04:48:21 pm »
And put out a lump of Himalayan rock salt (in a container with drain holes) for them to lick at.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 08:41:59 pm »
I have a substantial amount of Shelly hoof in my flock and extremely difficult to get on top of.
 From your photo it is difficult to tell wether Shelly hoof or not. If the animal is not lame I would tend not to worry too much.
Do you have much of a problem with lameness in your flock?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 08:50:51 pm »
.. its not broke...

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:18:18 pm »
I have a substantial amount of Shelly hoof in my flock and extremely difficult to get on top of.
 From your photo it is difficult to tell wether Shelly hoof or not. If the animal is not lame I would tend not to worry too much.
Do you have much of a problem with lameness in your flock?
only 2 pet sheep which are 30 months only 1 other case of scald about a year ago
This sheep did have a cracked hoof when it was a lamb 2 years ago on same leg,but nothing came of it till now
I saw it cracking last week and bought some zinc rich salt blocks but looks like I am too late
Have cleaned it again after yesterday’s wet weather and re sprayed
Sheep seems fine just annoying me

Mel

• Joined Jan 2019
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 10:19:17 pm »
.. its not broke...
Sorry no idea what you mean or who your saying it to

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 07:58:18 am »
The zinc will take several months to have an effect so it’s not a quick fix.

I think Me is saying if she isn’t lame don’t go messing around with the foot which I agree with. Just keep an eye on the other crack and leave alone unless she goes lame.

Clay

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 07:16:10 am »
Mel some sheep just have poor conformation of their feet and not diseased in anyway ie foot rot, scald etc. My experience of added zinc in blocks and buckets is that it has not made much difference to my sheep feet. I may just have sheep that have a pre disposition to foot problems ie genetics

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 01:49:23 pm »
.. its not broke...
Sorry no idea what you mean or who your saying it to

I think Me is saying 'if it is not broken then no need to fix it' meaning that if the sheep is not lame then no need to do anything unless that changes.  I understand that Me is/was a vet.... someone correct me it I am wrong please.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 02:08:30 pm »
Mel some sheep just have poor conformation of their feet and not diseased in anyway ie foot rot, scald etc. My experience of added zinc in blocks and buckets is that it has not made much difference to my sheep feet. I may just have sheep that have a pre disposition to foot problems ie genetics

I guess it depends whether the root cause of the problems was a lack of zinc or not! In our case, zinc licks made a massive difference to our flock, to the point where we hardly touch a foot these days.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS