Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best energiser setup for electric fence  (Read 1559 times)

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Best energiser setup for electric fence
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:58:15 am »
What would be the best set up to run an electric fence for cows (single strand) and chickens (electric net)?
I have never had any of those before And not sure how to actually run it, what I need etc.
I needs to portable, won't be connected to mains (to far).
Energiser running of car battery on a little trolley (so it's easier to move)?
Any suggestions? Recommendations?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Best energiser setup for electric fence
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:44 am »
I'd advise using a large leisure battery. We have three 120Ah, which are pretty heavy so do need to be moved with a trolley. You need two because it takes ours two days to charge. Not sure about the cows, but if they are like sheep they need to be trained at a young age about electric lines, otherwise they just charge through them. I'm not a fan of electric nets as such. I'd be worried about the chickens killing themselves on it and they are very difficult to stop shorting to earth and shorting to earth will quickly discharge the battery. Our arrangement is to use the net as the earth circuit which avoids the previous issues and then run live lines around the outside. You are after all trying to keep predators out, as a simple non-electrified net will usually keep chickens in, although youngsters will occasionally fly out.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 12:43:33 pm »
Don't know about chickens but cows are easy ,posts with single pigtail insulator at the top , steel braided wire which is stronger and gives a bit more kick ,single pulley roll at one end  metal post at opposite end and have a look at small solar panel for charging the battery which needs to be a leisure battery . sites such as Gallaghar will give options

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 05:39:59 pm »
I bought the energiser linked below and have been impressed with it. I use for sheep, but we are thinking of getting one for the cows too. You just need an earth stake and 12v battery- we get ours from the scrapyard for a tenner each

https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/voss-farming-helos-4-12-v-battery-mains-energiser-dual-power.html

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 08:52:53 pm »
Great. I was looking at that voss actually. Other one was Gallagher?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:08:18 pm »
The voss one will be better value for money. It’s the best value one I found online  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS