Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you have in your greenhouse in July and August?  (Read 4785 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
What do you have in your greenhouse in July and August?
« on: June 29, 2019, 09:42:08 pm »
In previous years, after using the greenhouse for germinating and potting on we have had tomatoes in there.  This year the tomatoes are all fixed up elsewhere and wondering what people have going on in their greenhouse at this time of year?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: What do you have in your greenhouse in July and August?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 10:48:31 pm »
Tomatoes, aubergine, cucumbers, chilli peppers, basil between tomatoes.
Last year had "doodi", nitbsure how to spell it but it's some sort of gourd.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 11:07:08 pm »
toms, peppers & chillis, radish and sp onion (actually ones outside doing better), lettuce

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 12:01:11 am »
Not a lot - chillies  :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: .  Err - that's it.  (everything else is in the polytunnel or outside)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2019, 12:23:44 am »
Not a lot - chillies  :chili: :chili: :chili: :chili: .  Err - that's it.  (everything else is in the polytunnel or outside)
By saying I grow in the greenhouse I actually meant polytunnel too
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 09:13:49 am »
Yes, I should have said, we have got loads of veg in the polytunnels including tomatoes, peppers, aubergines, sweetcorn and loads of salad.  In the past, after the sowing frenzy of the first part of the year I have run out of steam and, to a certain extent, space as the greenhouse was full of tomatoes.  This year I want to try and keep on sowing and bringing on things for later.  I made new greenhouse benches complete with capillary matting at the start of this season and I don';t want them to remain unused over the next few months!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 09:32:28 am »
Tom's, (5 varieties) peppers (4 varieties)chilli, basil, spring onions, early courgettes, cucumbers, melons, squash

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 03:58:23 pm »
1 (yes 1!) cherry tomato plant
It's a very small grow house    :roflanim:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 06:12:09 pm »
Tomatoes, cucumber, dwarf French beans, peas, carrots, basil, couple of squashes, salad stuff

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2019, 10:01:47 pm »
I've tried something new this year - with great success. 

Mini cucumbers.  Very tasty, and prolific!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 11:56:50 pm »
Supermarket ginger in a 20 litre plant pot tub this time last year . 
It grew to about three foot tall and had increased in size from 1& 1/2 inches with growing nodes to about five inches long and boy was it different to the half dried stuff you get in the shops . Turned three big pieces into homemade crystalised ginger. :yum:

With luck I have also managed to grow Pink Lady apple seeds in my bottomless seed tubes after a weeks drying on the side board , then stratifying them in the fridge for a couple of months and a night in the freezer at minus 21 oC .
 :idea: Either they are just poking their heads out or it's weeds . :roflanim:

I often grow strawberries in the greenhouse using the automatic irrigation system to water everything as the crop starts early and finished late .. at present because of Alison doing some bonsai work in the green house the four 20 litre tubs of home grown Cambridgeshire favourites grown from self harvested seeds were put outside with the sack barrow &  there's plenty of berries on them .

I've also got some Kashmiri Cypress, Giant Redwoods & Larch seeds in the greenhouse ..the cypress have germinated well …. three out of four seeds .
I'm  not sure  how the rest are doing ,  come winter they will get put outside .
 I started collecting the cones /seed two years ago when visiting Blarney castle , learnt how to get the seed ready for growing etc .

Next year  I hope to have a greater tree seed crop collection that we have collected ourselves to grow our own bonsai trees from seed .

Slugs devoured a lot of stuff as it emerged in the beds , as it was too cold to use Nemaslug and I tried to be sparing with slug pellets as our dog  is almost addicted to them to the extent of jumping 3 foot up on to the raised beds to find & eat them.

So I've used the glasshouse and the water misting set up to grow new peas, beans &  lettuce quickly to replace what's been lost .

I've also grown tubes of different colours of long trailing  lobelia & still have a dozen of so tubes of white that are not quite ready...  so I can have red white and blue in our six hanging baskets to annoy my nationalist Welsh neighbours   :roflanim:

I've also got beetroot & kohlrabi growing in tubes in the glasshouse  due to the slug fest that been held in the garden , in a few days they should be OK to put out in  the beds

Good news is our  Nemaslug nemaodes arrived late this afternoon , just as we were about to go out . They will get placed tomorrow and then I'll do a second dose in six week time .
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:48:17 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 12:28:50 am »
Tomatoes in my big greenhouse (which isn't that big really) and cut and come again lettuce and cress in the small one.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 02:30:22 pm »
Thank you cloddopper, this contains just the sort of inspiration I need

Supermarket ginger in a 20 litre plant pot tub this time last year . 
It grew to about three foot tall and had increased in size from 1& 1/2 inches with growing nodes to about five inches long and boy was it different to the half dried stuff you get in the shops . Turned three big pieces into homemade crystalised ginger. :yum:

Will definitely try that

With luck I have also managed to grow Pink Lady apple seeds in my bottomless seed tubes

what are your bottomless tubes made from?

I often grow strawberries in the greenhouse using the automatic irrigation system to water everything

What is the setup for your automatic irrigation system?

I've also got some Kashmiri Cypress, Giant Redwoods & Larch seeds  in the greenhouse ..the cypress have germinated well

I like the idea of a greenhouse full of Giant Redwoods

So I've used the glasshouse and the water misting set up to grow new peas, beans &  lettuce quickly to replace what's been lost

How does your water misting system work?

Sorry about all the questions but I like to make automatic systems!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 12:42:30 am »
GribinIsaf,  I have sent you a long PM .

The bottom less tubes are 3 mtr lengths of solvent weldable  standard kitchen waste pipe cut on a simple jig with a 24 tpi back saw to 75 mm in length ,  smooth the cut edges with a good quality decorators sanding strip to remove all sharp edges ..if you have a lathe make up a jig and face off each end so every one is the same length then smooth the edges with a scraper before taking it off the lathe  .
 The plug for the bottom  is made by filing the inside lip of one of the tubes and using a small triangular file make small teeth in the edge.
I used an old camping mat , used the toothed cutter to twist into the foam  as hard as I could , then used a craft knife to fully cut the disc out the matting . Then used a pair of  hole punch pliers to punch a 3 mm hole centrally for drainage .

I found a bit of garden fork shaft that just fitted the tube . Used it to push the discs to the bottom of each tube when they were stood upon the potting shed bench & lightly tamp the fill down with it .  I also cut a bit at 75 mm long  and screwed it to a small ply base so it  stands up like a candle , so that when the sown seed has turned into a small individual pant big enough to handle  I can press the  tool into the garden where I want the plant to go to make a perfect  hole .

Using the same tool  push the foam disc up from the bottom of the tube to eject a healthy plug plant that fits nicely in the planting hole I've just made. 

Slugs & snails don't seem as keen to eat a bigger healthy plant than they do for new emerging seedlings , it's one the main reason for me persisting with the bottomless tubes till I got it right  . I also found that growing several hundred bedding plants each year it is was the best way for me  as each tube takes very little compost and there is no knock back in growth when planting out  .
The tubes are now in their seventh or eighth year so are the foam inserts . They all get washed in buckets of warm water fairy liquid wash & an egg cup of bleach sometime  during winter so they are clean and reasonably sterile for the next sowing season . They also get rinsed off twicein clean rain water to remove any soap or bleach taint  , then they are stored dry in clean seed trays till needed .

Every seed tube get it's own seed label with the date on it .. that way nothing gets mixed up ..well rarely ever . Sometime germinations  can be spread over a week or more for seeds from the same packet . I can get 32 tube in a standard seed if I put a cut to six=ze  bit of lino in the bottom to make it dead flat , I can get seven seed tube in a supermarket grape punnet which is handy for I sow things  into run as succession crops and six sown cabbages / cauli etc. is plenty per fortnight

I've made a special cutter on my lathe that is a bit like a hole saw with a modification so it can be worked for my small bench press drill, as I ended up cutting out over 700 discs 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 12:51:00 am by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2019, 11:28:56 am »
Pizza.

It's nice and warm in there of an evening, there aren't as many midgies and you can just reach out and grab our own salad leaves!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS