Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding Turkeys  (Read 1858 times)

Biskit

• Joined Feb 2018
Feeding Turkeys
« on: June 27, 2019, 01:51:47 pm »
Hi there  :wave:
Looking for advice on feeding Turkeys - newbie to Turkey keeping so any advice much appreciated.....

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Feeding Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 03:33:20 pm »
Its pretty straightforward, turkey crumbs till their a month or so old, then a turkey rearer/grower and then closer to time to cull them its turkey finisher. Their feed is medicated so its important to give them the finisher (non medicated) before you cull them, so their clear of the medication.

I like to give them access to grass from about 6 weeks and I also let them have poultry corn.

Good luck with them, their such characters and because of that culling them is very hard.. I couldn't face it with my last lot and they were all sold as breeding birds the following spring! 

Biskit

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 04:21:37 pm »
Ah thanks you for the advice its much needed
I have 6 eggs in the incubator looking like 5 from the 6 developing!
I have also just brought breeding pair with one of last years chicks.
I am unsure if I could eat one for my Christmas dinner as I am failing with the lovely lamb (or so I am told its lovely!!)
I think the problem I am having at the moment in time is sourcing the food for them as few local suppliers to me have just had to order in the turkey crumb for me so its ready for the pouts  :fc: :fc: :fc:

Now you say the food is medicated, can I ask what type of medication is used and for what??

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 07:00:24 pm »
That's great that you have a supplier that will source it for you. Its quite different from standard chick crumb - I think its much higher protein?

The medication is stamped on the bag, its ACS which prevents illness which young turkeys are particularly prone to, particularly if their kept where chickens are or have been kept. If you google it it'll tell you exactly what the ACS is :)

Biskit

• Joined Feb 2018
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 12:32:51 pm »
awwwww Thank you
I will have a look on the bag
Thank you again much appreciated

ann_of_loxley

• Joined Jun 2018
  • Cumbria UK
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 07:48:21 pm »
We keep turkeys all year round as I love them, we incubate and grow our own, etc...  So most of the year they are on layers pellets. 
I do buy turkey crumb for the babes.  Growing turkeys need more protein then chickens so that is why.  They also love love love dried mealworms!  A treat and it gets them coming up to met, tame, etc. 
Now, the turkey food that makes them fat for the plate is only available around October around here (and I have had the same issues trying to order online to be honest) ....But I will be totally honest...feeding them corn is cheaper and makes them just as fat!  So, I won't really bother anymore with special turkey fattening food because they taste good either way. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS