Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bites on Pygmy Goats  (Read 2196 times)

beeches4791

• Joined Aug 2015
Bites on Pygmy Goats
« on: June 20, 2019, 08:33:10 pm »
Hi everyone, 

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice on a couple of 'bites' that we've found on one of our pygmy goats.  There are two little bites on her back, both are raised and look as if they may have bled a little but have now scabbed over.  She doesn't seem overly bothered by them.  We wondered whether they might be insect bites or whether she has caught herself on something. We're due to Spot On them again at the weekend so that may be all that's needed but just wanted to check that we're not missing something more serious. 

Thanks so much

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Bites on Pygmy Goats
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:11:18 am »
do they have any scabs around their lower legs? They look a bit similar to the mites that attack one of my goats legs and occasionally I've found the scabs on his back?

I smother the scabs in sudocreme which kills the mites and my vets will dispense a couple of Dectomax injections which clears it up.

beeches4791

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 04:45:23 pm »
Hi bj_cardiff, thanks so much for your reply.  I can't see any scabs elsewhere on her but have noticed a third one on her back.  I hadn't thought of using Sudocreme so will give that a go and let you know how we get on.   I'll also ring the vets on Monday and ask about Dectomax injections to make sure she gets rid of whatever it is.

Thanks again,

beeches4791

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:13:24 pm »
Thank you Scarlett Dragon. They are pygmy goats, not milked and just pets so sounds like Dectomax would be ok to use. However, I completely take your point about only using medications when absolutely necessary. We’ve put Sudocreme on the bites today so hopefully that will help treat them and clear them up. I hadn’t thought about them being hair follicle pustules but it would make sense as they are both moulting badly and growing their summer coats at the moment and Misty does seem to be moulting particularly badly this year. We’ll hold off on the Dectomax for the moment and see how she gets on with the  Sudocreme for a few days.

Should we apply it morning and night? Being pygmys, they are into absolutely everything and so I can’t see the Sudocreme staying on for very long!!

Thanks again for your help.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 06:58:52 am »
The sudocreme usually soaks into the scab so when you reapply 24hrs later its lifted. That's what I do anyway :)

beeches4791

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 11:19:35 am »
Thank you, I’ll keep you posted with how we get on  :goat:

beeches4791

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 06:37:24 pm »
Hi bj_cardiff and Scarlett.Dragon,

I just wanted to let you have an update on Misty’s bites. They have cleared up really well with the Sudocrem so thank you both very much for the suggestion. I think perhaps it could have been hair follicle pustules but whether that or insect bites, they have dried up and come away as you both said they would!

Just wanted to say thank you and how much I appreciate your help.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 07:50:12 pm »
Glad to be of help :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS