Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My Profile  (Read 1201 times)

Dai H

• Joined Jun 2019
My Profile
« on: June 20, 2019, 02:22:01 pm »
Hello to you all, I came upon this site whilst looking for information with regard to growing runner beans in a greenhouse.
I am 70 years old and like to spend a lot of my time just watching mother nature (in the winter i build r/c boats).
I live in Oakdale Wales which is an ex mining village and very quiet it is too we often wake to the sounds of owls hooting in the nearby woods. As to runners in the greenhouse well I have planted sweet peas every other one in the small greenhouse that I have and the local bees seem to be in and out all the time so it remains to bee seen if I have a good harvest of beans or not nothing ventured nothing gained.
REgards to you all
Dai H

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
Re: My Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 09:33:24 am »
Hello Dai
Welcome to the best site around  :wave: Hope you enjoy being on here, lots of growers to chat to  :thumbsup: 

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:46:34 am »
Hello Dai H and welcome to the forum- can't help with the beans in the greenhouse as it's not something I've tried in England. Greenhouses down here are rare and need to be well shaded as in our last one the thermometer exploded at 60C. Sure someone here will have experience to share though.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 09:57:17 am »
Welcome Dai.  I grow my runners in a polytunnel here in Scotland, because it's too cold and windy to grow them successfully outside.  The crop is not as good as an outdoor one in a more gentle area, I think because it gets too hot inside.  So pay plenty of attention to ventilation and maybe go the 'old fashioned' route of spraying the flowers with water each evening, and damping down the floor.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 11:29:28 pm »
Hello Dai and welcome from sunny Shropshire. I am a very keen vegetable grower and have several fruit trees as bushes. As you may have guessed from my forum name, I used to keep goats but decreasing mobility has dictated that my goatkeeping days are over. I turned the area they were in to a flower garden. Growing flowers is a new experience for me - I've always gone for plants I could eat - and I'm rather enjoying it.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 03:43:45 pm »
Hello Dai,

I have grown runner beans in my polytunnel very successfully for years. I started off by sowing them at the end of March and was picking them at the beginning of June. They obviously need lots of water but apart from that are trouble free.

I didn't pull up roots in the autumn, just cut down the stalks. The following spring I found that the roots were sprouting and produced a good crop a couple of months later. Since then I have stopped sowing and just use these perennial roots. The secret is to start watering in February because they get very dry over winter.

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 06:50:17 am »
hello Dai  :wave: there are a few others from Wales on here  :eyelashes:
If you try possum's method, you could try it with the sweet peas too; I had some survive outside this last winter, despite snow and then temps of 20 in Feb!

RCTman

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Rhondda fach
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 09:09:05 pm »
Hi Dai, welcome to this great site and to a close neighbour. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS