Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First loss  (Read 1270 times)

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
First loss
« on: June 20, 2019, 08:06:21 am »
Morning all,
 I've got a ewe that hasn't been right since November. After various treatments vet is now assuming that she has cancer. She is about 8/9 years old. She has managed to raise twins to 10 weeks, but in last few days seems to have taken a turn. Completely blind and deaf, skin and bone. I have the fallen stock man coming, and this will be the first time we have had a ewe euthanised or lost one at all.

Just wanted to check on the documentation side of things. Is it the knacker man who does paperwork and I just update my register and scoteid?

Thanks,
Charlotte

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: First loss
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 12:43:33 pm »
The knacker man should give you a slip of paper with her ear tag number on it to prove that she’s left the holding. I’m not sure about the rules in Scotland but in England we just update the flock book accordingly with the date of death, ear tag number and disposal note number.

Sorry for your loss  :(  I called time on a ewe (in lamb with twins) just before lambing, never a nice thing to do.

NewLifeOnTheFarm

• Joined Jun 2016
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 01:30:13 pm »
Thank you. Yes, it's been a hard decision really. She's done really well until last few days. She is suddenly deaf and blind, and until she feels or smells her lambs next to her, she is so distressed. She is calling for them when they are right there, and they call back but she can't hear them. It's so sad. But it's for the best.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 10:17:16 am »
Sorry to read this - you do get attached, especially when it's been a good animal for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS