NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Sodding Magpies  (Read 492 times)

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
Sodding Magpies
« on: June 19, 2019, 06:44:46 pm »
The Magpies are decimating the swallows nests this year, there have been considerable losses , as fast as I shoot them more appear and continue the destruction. Its getting quite upsetting.
Does any one have any suggestions on how to deal with this ? So far 28 magpies this month dispatched and a couple of crows.
Voss Electric Fence

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Sodding Magpies
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 07:24:59 pm »
Larsen trap? 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 09:31:26 pm »
got traps ,  savvy lot here  :-[   sit in hide, and I hear them behind me , best results are getting hidden* before daylight as I will be again tomorrow morning.
I know their routine, times of recce flights , feeding times, just having to sit and wait.

* so well hidden I once had a conversation with the Liquid Nitrogen delivery guy, and he never found me !!

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 10:06:59 am »
I've now decided to hang up a few of the dead magpies in the hope of deterring others,would this work ?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 03:08:50 pm »
I'm glad to say weeks of sitting on sentry duty and a few deceased magpies strung up along with a couple of owl decoys in the steading the swallow population has recovered somewhat .
The steading has become a "no go " area for the pesky predators, and the swallows are thriving.

I must be mad !

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 04:29:54 pm »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 09:05:05 pm »
No your not mad, but I am!  Bloody magpies are stealing all my eggs.  And they're multplying!  And I don't have a gun.

Fancy a holiday in Scotland?   :rant: :rant: :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

DrMunns

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 10:46:05 pm »
I've now decided to hang up a few of the dead magpies in the hope of deterring others,would this work ?

It does work, a friend of mine write his dissertation at uni about it

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 11:43:26 am »
I just found a half eaten pigeon body that my 19 year old cat got the better of.  Would that work to scare them off do you think  :innocent: :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 08:56:41 pm »
I just found a half eaten pigeon body that my 19 year old cat got the better of.  Would that work to scare them off do you think  :innocent: :roflanim:

half eaten pigeon body = crow magnet !!  life size cutout of the cat might be a better bet  ;)
19 years , well done that cat !
ours lie in the sun and watch the birds go by .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 11:06:43 pm »
My neighbour thought he had foxes visitng his garden when he found a few baby rabbits with no heads and front legs.  Umm nope, that's my Rio!!!  :innocent:  :roflanim: :roflanim:

magpies and squirrels

Started by northfifeduckling

Replies: 4
Views: 2960
Last post September 22, 2011, 03:53:39 pm
by SallyintNorth
Swallows and magpies

Started by philcaegrug

Replies: 16
Views: 7404
Last post September 18, 2014, 11:44:43 pm
by Fleecewife

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS