Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mild bloat aftercare?  (Read 1354 times)

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Mild bloat aftercare?
« on: June 17, 2019, 09:01:54 am »
Had a ewe with mild bloat symptoms. Day 1 stretching back legs out behind and lying down, getting up stretching etc. Vet gave her Buscopan and recommended keeping her off grass with hay for a few hours. Day 2 symptoms returned so back in the pen with hay and 2 more days of Buscopan.
She’s not really eating the hay but symptoms have completely gone. We have nowhere to turn her out without good grass.
Question- how do I manage her now? I’m scared if I turn her out she’ll gorge and end up in same position.
I’ve read that wet grass is worse, so wait till grass has dried?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mild bloat aftercare?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 09:28:40 am »
Is she a ewe or a ewe lamb?  If a ewe, I’d be wondering why she’s getting this problem, is there something underlying?  A lamb is just inexperienced. 

And yes, if it’s recurring and the silly thing isn’t getting the message, you may have to keep her in until the grass is drier.  Or maybe, if it’s practical, let her out for an hour at a time? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Kerriech

• Joined Sep 2014
Re: Mild bloat aftercare?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 09:53:29 am »
She’s a 2016 ewe. Typical that she’s the least friendly of my 5 sheep. Not sure if I turn her out whether she’ll be easy to pen up again. But I can try that. ????????

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS