NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Any meat rabbits in Scotland?  (Read 359 times)

Rusty Lad

• Joined Jun 2019
Any meat rabbits in Scotland?
« on: June 16, 2019, 01:13:56 am »
Hi all,
I want to get started breeding New Zealands and Californians but can't find any breeders in Scotland to buy from.  Anyone got any contacts i could call? I would go south of the border if necessary.
I keep my eye on 'Pre-Loved, Pets4homes and Gumtree.

I would also buy any cages etc from anyone who has stopped breeding and has them laying around. Thanks.
Voss Electric Fence

alang

• Joined Nov 2017
  • Morayshire
Re: Any meat rabbits in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 06:48:24 pm »
Been looking myself for a good 9 months now and nothing up here. Either that or no-one is advertising meat rabbits for fear they get a visit from certain "anti-anything and everything" groups.
I'm not scared to be seen, I make no apologies. This is me!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Any meat rabbits in Scotland?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 05:38:36 pm »
Not being funny guys & gals but if there are no NZ's or Carolina's to be had for love nor money . Do what I did ( I did it in reverse to get minature stock of sound quality ) .

Buy in a couple of big does that are full of white and a blocky buck much the same from different parts of the country ( did the trips as a couple of interesting long week ends  some times )then start breeding them. Keep back any does that show signs of being a bigger whiter rabbit and buy in a small albino buck breed them and keep back any red eyed white does .  Breed them to the bigger buck and you should have three or four red eyed whites as basic breeding stock  in three or four years you can have a decent blood line with four  generations of separation

If you are just breeding for skinned ,  in the pots for yourself & friends  does it really matter what they are so long as they are strong big and meaty by 16 weeks old ?
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Meat rabbits in Scotland

Started by Beewyched

Replies: 17
Views: 12186
Last post June 26, 2012, 01:32:59 pm
by MAK
Rabbits for meat?

Started by Shropshirelass

Replies: 12
Views: 4445
Last post December 03, 2013, 08:07:12 pm
by cloddopper
Looking for meat rabbits

Started by JulieWall

Replies: 10
Views: 4951
Last post March 30, 2014, 12:42:30 pm
by cloddopper
Beveran meat rabbits

Started by alang

Replies: 11
Views: 1121
Last post November 01, 2018, 11:57:50 pm
by cloddopper
Regular visitors to our meat rabbits.

Started by MAK

Replies: 5
Views: 2063
Last post April 29, 2013, 10:25:39 pm
by MAK

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS