Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spring or autumn?  (Read 1256 times)

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
spring or autumn?
« on: June 12, 2019, 02:46:07 pm »
There are mushrooms popping up all over my garden.  :thinking: I am wondering if they think autumn has arrived, given that we were enjoying much higher temps in late Feb... Or are they nominally spring appearances, like the housemartins (who have only just finished building their nest)? It must be very difficult for you poor folk trying to grow veg.
On the other hand, my 20 year old mulberry is fruiting for the first time, so it's not all bad. Perhaps this weather suits it; or it heard me threatening to get rid of it and use the space for something else...

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: spring or autumn?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 04:57:21 pm »
This year has been totally amazing for may blossom.  I have never seen as much anywhere. Even the tiniest residual stump of a derelict hedgerow is bursting with flowers, and the larger shrubs are a sight to behold  8)
Our orchard was full of blossom on every tree, even the nearly dead damson, earlier.  Whether that will be translated into edible fruit only time will tell.  We are at the altitudinal limit for fruit growing, so some years we have success and some years we get a paltry crop.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 08:17:20 am »
Field mushrooms popping up all over here too.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:15:09 am »
On the other hand, my 20 year old mulberry is fruiting for the first time, so it's not all bad. Perhaps this weather suits it; or it heard me threatening to get rid of it and use the space for something else...
My mulberry, planted two seasons ago, is covered in fruit this year! Last year it had 2 or 3 fruits only. But this year I need to her it otherwise birds will be full of mulberries.
Obviously it's fruiting early because it must have been a specific variety , I bought it from local garden centre- it was already y foot tall when I planted it.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS